Unidentified "Divorced" Dwarf Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James G

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello Everyone, about 6 months ago I picked up some type of dwarf cichlid labelled as "SA Cichlid" for $13, about a month after i got them they had their first spawn and ever since they've been a pair and spawn every 2-4 weeks. They eat well and even at times chase the angelfish once in a while even though the angels are 3x their size though they tend to be quite peaceful. Their colour is black and when they're in spawning dress their colour goes from black to a deep purple, Everything's been going good with them until today, they seemed to have "Divorced" and are now chasing each other around, biting each others sides, opening mouths and shaking heads, sometimes the male will swim on his side and the female will go vertically up while looking at each other. When they bite each other its very aggressive and I saw 1 or 2 scales drop, the male is keeping to himself staying at one side of the tank and the female is the one chasing him and starting these fights. Any information as to how to get them to pair up again or what they are will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG-0989.jpg
    IMG-0989.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG-0988.jpg
    IMG-0988.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG-0986.jpg
    IMG-0986.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG-0985.jpg
    IMG-0985.jpg