Unusual Cichlid behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edevingo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a male powder blue that I removed on Saturday and placed in my 30g QT. He was not allowing any tankmates to move in my 60g. Since he's been in the Qt tank he will not eat,his fins are all clamped (Which I have never seen him do ever) if he sees anyone in the room he charges at the glass and around the tank at such a speed that water splashes out the top.
I feel absolutely horrible and I don't know what to do? Is it possible that removing him was so traumatic that he is essentially lost his SH#! Do I sit and wait for him to basically kill himself because that's what it seems like he's doing or is there a chance he will get over the shock of being taken out of my main tank?
Like I said I feel so horrible. Has anyone ever had such a thing happen? What would you do?
Thanks!

Sounds like a mean mad fish...Possibly it spawned in your tank and was defending eggs/fry or you have it in with fish that are not compatible ?
Powder blue ; socolofi ?
Who else is tank?

With New Worlds, if one fish gets too dominant it sometimes works to remove the troublesome fish, allow the second baddest fish to take over dominance for a while, then reintroduce the initial trouble maker. Often the once second dominates the previous number one. I don't know if this method applies to Africans. Good luck.

Sounds like a mean mad fish...Possibly it spawned in your tank and was defending eggs/fry or you have it in with fish that are not compatible ?
Powder blue ; socolofi ?
Who else is tank?
Hi
My main tank has 3 Red Zebras,1 yellow lab,2 johani,2 Electric blue haps and 3 Giraffe. The Haps are being moved but they never bothered eachother. They would just stay in one place and watch. Honestly he was extremely territorial, but never locked lips or made contact, unlike my reds who have. He would just chase until they stopped he would flash to say "this is were you stay" and go back to making his nests. I was trying to figure out by behavior if he did pair with someone but he was treating everyone equally. However I did notice one of my reds not eating and looking like she was holding that is up until Sunday night she ate dinner. Omg could I have broken them up and he lost his crap because he's not in the tank?
I was going to try and put him back but he has this crazed look and im afraid now he will take out everyone.

With New Worlds, if one fish gets too dominant it sometimes works to remove the troublesome fish, allow the second baddest fish to take over dominance for a while, then reintroduce the initial trouble maker. Often the once second dominates the previous number one. I don't know if this method applies to Africans. Good luck.

Thank you. I keep hoping he'll chill out enough so I can put him back with the rest. As of now I dont think he'd be able to handle it nor would the others.

Hi
My main tank has 3 Red Zebras,1 yellow lab,2 johani,2 Electric blue haps and 3 Giraffe. The Haps are being moved but they never bothered eachother. They would just stay in one place and watch. Honestly he was extremely territorial, but never locked lips or made contact, unlike my reds who have. He would just chase until they stopped he would flash to say "this is were you stay" and go back to making his nests. I was trying to figure out by behavior if he did pair with someone but he was treating everyone equally. However I did notice one of my reds not eating and looking like she was holding that is up until Sunday night she ate dinner. Omg could I have broken them up and he lost his crap because he's not in the tank?
I was going to try and put him back but he has this crazed look and im afraid now he will take out everyone.
Yes a Socolofi
c489022d99e6c4b7574c33ac24921fa7.jpg

After seeing your Powder Blue's pic, he looks so calm and mellow, lol. Might consider buying one of these and putting it in your display tank. My Royal Tangerine Dragon Blood, is extremely tough and easily dominates all Africans I keep without harming any. The Dragon Bloods are hybrids, 50% Peacock, 50% unknown. He is roughly 5" long. Mine holds his own swimming along side some big new worlds as well as africans. IMO a DB could easily handle your bad boy Powder Blue. Just a suggestion.

Attachments

• 20170825_090347.jpg
    20170825_090347.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 84
After seeing your Powder Blue's pic, he looks so calm and mellow, lol. Might consider buying one of these and putting it in your display tank. My Royal Tangerine Dragon Blood, is extremely tough and easily dominates all Africans I keep without harming any. The Dragon Bloods are hybrids, 50% Peacock, 50% unknown. He is roughly 5" long. Mine holds his own swimming along side some big new worlds as well as africans. IMO a DB could easily handle your bad boy Powder Blue. Just a suggestion.
I ended up rehoming all my Mbuna and my Haps and Peacocks are now in a 110g. Picked this guy up last week. I've got a few Haps that are easily double his size and he's had no problem with them. It will be interesting to see what happens as time goes by. 20180220_182736-picsay.jpg

Back
Top Bottom