Unusual symbionic relationship? Pic added 6/9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have noticed on more than one occassion that my female keyhole cichlid will "present" her abdomen to my Angels. The angels will give a couple of pecks at her, very gently of course and then she will swim away. The angels do not persue her.

I have no idea as to why she is doing this, she has a companion and they are together most of the time. It is a bit odd to see her at the top of the tank, hanging out with the angel pair and then presenting her abdomen without any fear and no aggression.

Any ideas or thoughts on this? I'm stumped.

My only thoughts come from my own experiences with my keyholes. I've found them to be extremely gregarious, and somewhat mischevious.

I've caught mine playfully nipping at my angel, presumably just to irritate it, as I've never seen any fin damage. Of course, the angel plays right into it, LOL. I had to move them out of my discus tank. I lost 3 out of my 4 original discus, and I think it is because the keyholes were stressing them, hence the move. Unfortunately, I didn't figure this out until the discus were already on a hunger strike to the point of no return. :(

My point is, for all their peaceful reputations, I think that they sometimes just like to cause trouble. Maybe yours are doing the same? FWIW, my keyholes also frequent all levels of the tank.

I've found them to be extremely gregarious, and somewhat mischevious.

Sounds like they may be the "Woodywoodpeckers" of aquaria? :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for sharing your experience. This is my first time experiencing these unusual cichlids.

Do you think that the display may be some attempt to attract a mate? I thought you already had a pair in the tank but I am not sure if the pair "for life" like some dwarf cichlids. How does this display take place? Does the keyhole simply swim over to the angels and turn sideways so that its side is right in the angels' faces or does it turn its belly right at the angels?

The only reason that I think it may be an attempt to attract a mate is because of what I have seen with my GBR's. I have a young male GBR in the tank that is trying to "steal" one of the females from a proven pair. He will go over to her and display his broad side to her, sort of like saying "hey, check out my flashy colors" and then the other male comes up, they squabble, and then the female flashes her side to the male she is paired with sort of saying "I am yours, don't worry." Both times the display is about an inch or two away from the receiving fish's face.

You described it perfectly:

does it turn its belly right at the angels?

This is done after swimming along side of them for awhile. The "mated" pair of angels are females, which adds more mystery to the problem. I've been assuming that the other keyhole is male, which I will need to confirm later. Who knows, I may be the only aquarist in the world who has an all female cichlid tank. :shock:

I finally got a pic of the unusual behavior. I noticed that her breeding tube was out but no eggs were coming out??? The Angel that is next to her was erm, checking out the breeding tube. :shock:

Attachments

• 75june52007c_007_196.jpg
    75june52007c_007_196.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 50
LOL! I think the Keyhole is a little "loose'. She used to flirt with a Clown Loach before then. I think she just likes a little variety :)

Back
Top Bottom