Update- the big move and full tank shot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm leak testing a tank in my garage right now. It's the one I was going to use for African cichlids, but unfortunately I think I'll have to scrap that idea, even though it would be really really cool. I am quickly running out of room in my house for more tanks, and if the choice is between another FW tank or a SW tank 75 gallons or larger... the SW tank is going to win.

So here's how this post relates to cichlids...

The tank I am filling in my garage is 48"x18", and just a couple inches shorter than a standard 75 gallon, so I'm guessing it is around 65-70 gallons. I am thinking about combining my 45 gallon and 55 gallon bedroom tanks into this 70-ish gallon tank. In that case, my stock list would be:
2 blood parrot cichlids
1 large gold severum (see avatar) :p
2 female convicts- this may not work.
1 evil firemouth
1 dwarf green pike cichlid
3 yellowtail botia
1 large rainbow shark

I also have 3 yo yo loaches in the 45 gallon now, but I was also considering moving the 45 into my living room, and tearing down the 29 that's in there. The new stock list for the 45 would then be:
1 large angel
2 keyholes
1 nannacara anomala
5 gold pristella tetras
3 yo yo loaches
1 clown pleco

I'm looking to simplify things here. The way the tanks in my bedroom are set up just isn't doing anything for me right now, and it looks kinda cluttered. I already have all the equipment I would need to make the switch.

What would you do in this situation?

Well, looks like no one has an opinion... :lol:

The tank's still holding water, so I'm going to reinforce the seals with extra silicone (just to make me feel better ;)) and begin the process of moving fish and tearing down tanks. We're rearranging the bedroom furniture as well, and the only bedroom tanks will be this 70 gallon, and a 15 gallon future nano reef on my dresser. I think it's going to look a lot better.

If anyone is interested in a 29 gallon setup or a 55 gallon setup, check the classifieds! :)

If it were me I'd move the 45 to the living room, rather than combining the 55 and 45. I'd tear down the 29, I like the combination stocking of the 29 and the 45 myself better than the other combination. Were you saying you would keep the 55 setup in your room?

I'd tear down the 29, I like the combination stocking of the 29 and the 45 myself better than the other combination.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. That would mean the stock list would be:
1 angel
2 BPs
1 rainbow shark
3 yo yo loaches
some tetras
clown pleco
1 convict

I really don't think that would work...

And no, I am not keeping the 55 setup, and I'm tearing down the 29 as well. I'm trying to downsize my number of tanks, and I'm hoping this will work. Thanks for the input!

I thought the second stocking list was a combo of the 29 and the 45. I misunderstood. Somedays the brain doesn't work so fast.

Yesterday was moving day. I left the 45 set up for now in case any of the fish need to be moved quickly. Now I'm just watching for aggression. So far things are going pretty well. There's some chasing going on as all the fish stake out their territories, but nothing major. And, I have a pic!
img_806910_0_d8ea5959dec5cebc68cbab467ea27f0c.jpg

The quality is bad, I had to use the flash because there is only 30 watts of light over a 75 gallon tank. It looks kinda cool like that, though. the hood has another slot directly behind the first set of lights so I can add more lighting later if I want. I can't buy a VersaTop for this tank, as it was made without a center brace, so I am stuck with the old hood that came with the tank.

I moved all the gravel over from the 55, and both of the filters from the 55., so right now, I am running an Emperor 280, an Emperor 400, and the newly-acquired Cascade 1000 canister that I got for free. 8) When the Cascade becomes seeded, I will start removing the Emperors and replacing them with either 1 or 2 Aquaclear 300s, I can't decide if just one would be enough filtration along with the Cascade. I can't take the noise from the Emperors anymore. :roll:

And that's the story on my new 75 gallon, for now. I spent about $20 setting it up, and I'm pretty happy with it for the moment, although I will probably add some more rocks later. The only things I had to buy were 2 new bulbs, and a stick-on background. The tank and stand, and canister were free, and everything else I already had. Yay for cheap setups!!! :D

It's looking really great. It is strange that your emporer filters are noisy. I have 3 and they are quiet as can be.

I've had them for a few years, since I was a noob, and they haven't been maintained the way they should have been. Lesson learned! ;)

Back
Top Bottom