Updated Pic of Unkown John Doe Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just took about 100 pictures of my new "Asst Cichlids" and only 1 turned out clear. Maybe this will help to better determine what kind of Cichlid I have. I will post a pic of the other one when I can get them to hold still. :lol: Please help ID this little guy. If you don't remember, I tried to post a pic of my Asst Cichlid's last week but noone was able to ID them because the Pic's were too blurry. I hope this helps.

It's certainly an OB something. My zebras are more rounded in the face. I think this may be a peacock, but they are not Mbuna.

Ok. I felt stupid asking that question because I'm sure most people know what it meant. So maybe an OB Peacock? I thought maybe it was a cross-breed until yesterday I saw one at the other fish place in Cape. Could this possibly be a pure Cichlid species?

I got to thinking, our fish is pink, black, and blue/purple. Would that color combination still be considered an OB Peacock? The body shapes is similar to our Ice Blue, the one under my name.

Could be a peacock like Menagerie said. If so the blue and purple you see would be the blue metallic sheen there scales have. You have two of these? Do they stay in open water or do they hide in the rocks? Do they hang around each other?

I definitely think it is an OB peacock, or Orange Blotch - this fish can have blue irridescence to it. The more bullet-shaped head indicates a peacock. These fish are notoriously hybridized, as mentioned above, as they are mixed so often, so a more definitive ID might not be possible.

Peacocks often don't do all that great kept with mbuna, so watch him carefully.

I only have one and he/she is always out in open water. The blue/purple is more of blotching, not really metallic. I was thinking it was a Peacock, but I wasn't sure what type exactly. The guy at the lfs said that it is most likely a cross breed and I wouldn't be able to figure out the exact combination. I don't mind it, I was just curious if he/she could be a pure breed. Thanks for everyone's help.

Ok, I FINALLY got a pic of John Doe #2. It took many many hours of waiting on the floor waiting for him/her to stop moving. We have a crappy digital camera where everything must be stopped or else the pic is blurry. If the fish moves a fin, blurry pic. If anyone can try to narrow down what this one may be, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom