Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Upload your apistogramma cichlids!

Let's make a huge thread of apistogramma cichlids! Here's the one I have ordered but it has not come in yet! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390269765.313639.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	217868

Old 01-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2952625053.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	217872

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3367809877.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	217873

Old 01-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post

Incredible! Is that a sunburst cockatoo? Or something like that 😂? And how big is it? Could I get a breeding pair and put them in my 20 gallon? Or is that too small?
Old 01-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by __b_3_n__ View Post
Incredible! Is that a sunburst cockatoo? Or something like that dde02? And how big is it? Could I get a breeding pair and put them in my 20 gallon? Or is that too small?
It's a m/f pair if apisto cacuatoides (double orange) they are a breeding pair but do not gave fry due to my egg robbing Pleco's. All good though.. The female is about 1.5" and had not grown much since getting her 3 months ago, the male however has grown quite a bit, he is a full 3.25" and looking great! I'd say you could put a pair in a 20 long with lots of caves and live plants, maybe 2 schools of 5, rummynose or another small tetra or barb.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
It's a m/f pair if apisto cacuatoides (double orange) they are a breeding pair but do not gave fry due to my egg robbing Pleco's. All good though.. The female is about 1.5" and had not grown much since getting her 3 months ago, the male however has grown quite a bit, he is a full 3.25" and looking great! I'd say you could put a pair in a 20 long with lots of caves and live plants, maybe 2 schools of 5, rummynose or another small tetra or barb.

Thanks for the advice! But since cichlids need high ph wouldn't that hurt the tetras or rummy nose tetras?
Old 01-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! But since cichlids need high ph wouldn't that hurt the tetras or rummy nose tetras?
The dwarfs seem pretty adaptable, mine are in a tank with rummynose, soft water, 7.2-7.4 ph, they are loving life.. With certain cichlids the parameters definitely play a serious role..I am by no means an expert though..
Old 01-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
The dwarfs seem pretty adaptable, mine are in a tank with rummynose, soft water, 7.2-7.4 ph, they are loving life.. With certain cichlids the parameters definitely play a serious role..I am by no means an expert though..

Thanks so much! I ordered 8 rummy nose for my 15 gallon and they didn't do so great.. Are apistos and rummy nose very sensitive? And do I have to have perfect water because I am only thirteen and I dont know if I have time to deal with that or if I know how to regulate it
Old 01-20-2014, 10:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thanks so much! I ordered 8 rummy nose for my 15 gallon and they didn't do so great.. Are apistos and rummy nose very sensitive? And do I have to have perfect water because I am only thirteen and I dont know if I have time to deal with that or if I know how to regulate it
I've heard rn are actually pretty sensitive, cac's are a bit hardier, but I've found they stress easy with less than ideal tank mates, I've set up new tanks just to move fish that were messing w my apisto's. If you do not have at least 20 min a day minimum for your tank than think on it lil man. They will not tolerate high nitrates very well.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not all cichlids are hard water fish. Apistogramma are certainly not. I'd have to say that cacatuoides are one of the all-around best species of Apistogramma for those that are new to dwarf cichlids. They're fairly hardy, not too aggressive even when spawning, and are pretty tolerant of mistakes.

Rummynose are difficult to find healthy- I say this as both a hobbyist and as a former employee of 2 lfs's.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama View Post
Not all cichlids are hard water fish. Apistogramma are certainly not. I'd have to say that cacatuoides are one of the all-around best species of Apistogramma for those that are new to dwarf cichlids. They're fairly hardy, not too aggressive even when spawning, and are pretty tolerant of mistakes.

Rummynose are difficult to find healthy- I say this as both a hobbyist and as a former employee of 2 lfs's.
I agree 100 percent! Cacatouides are great apistos!
Old 01-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love apistos, my most favorite fish. I have a bunch of pictures in this thread and have a poll for a video in the "Show off/Photography" section.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/apistogramma-is-good-for-your-soul-291966.htm
Old 01-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here are a few of the Apistogramma that I've had at some point in the fishroom.

cacatuoides

atahualpa

borelli

agassizii Alenquer

agassizii F0 Peru

Right now I've got a young pair of hongsloi that I grew out that recently started spawning, a growout tank for alacrina, a pair of rupununi, and that F0 Peru above. I've kept a bunch more species but I can't find all my pics.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow you guys have a great variety! Are they easy to breed and do I have to have a rock structure in the tank? And does it have to be heavily planted because I really want to do aquascaping but I can't seem to get all the element a right and fungus and algae won't stop!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fungus and algae mean you have to much light or nutrients, or both. Id check to make sure your not over feeding. Mine really enjoy having rock caves and moss. I have a few plastic plants as extra cover. It doesnt have to be heavily planted, but lots of rock and driftwood will help you out.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommunityCichlid View Post
Fungus and algae mean you have to much light or nutrients, or both. Id check to make sure your not over feeding. Mine really enjoy having rock caves and moss. I have a few plastic plants as extra cover. It doesnt have to be heavily planted, but lots of rock and driftwood will help you out.

Yea I think it's the lighting in my 15 because I don't over feed definitely but I have lowered the lighting to about 8 hours a day... And today I haut bought 2 oto cats to help clean up some of the algae... And my dwarf hairgrass is looking horrible it's practically brown all the way!!!!! I see little green shoots coming out but I just want to yank them out if the tank cause they look so bad! Any suggestions? Is there a hardier ground cover plant?
Old 01-22-2014, 12:29 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

What type of lighting do you have? Plants cant grow in just any old lighting. Also you need to run some type of CO2 and ferts.

Tags
api, apistogramma, cichlid, cichlids, ich, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com