Upload your apistogramma cichlids!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

__b_3_n__

Aquarium Advice Regular
Let's make a huge thread of apistogramma cichlids! Here's the one I have ordered but it has not come in yet! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390269765.313639.jpg

Incredible! Is that a sunburst cockatoo? Or something like that dde02? And how big is it? Could I get a breeding pair and put them in my 20 gallon? Or is that too small?
It's a m/f pair if apisto cacuatoides (double orange) they are a breeding pair but do not gave fry due to my egg robbing Pleco's. All good though.. The female is about 1.5" and had not grown much since getting her 3 months ago, the male however has grown quite a bit, he is a full 3.25" and looking great! I'd say you could put a pair in a 20 long with lots of caves and live plants, maybe 2 schools of 5, rummynose or another small tetra or barb.

It's a m/f pair if apisto cacuatoides (double orange) they are a breeding pair but do not gave fry due to my egg robbing Pleco's. All good though.. The female is about 1.5" and had not grown much since getting her 3 months ago, the male however has grown quite a bit, he is a full 3.25" and looking great! I'd say you could put a pair in a 20 long with lots of caves and live plants, maybe 2 schools of 5, rummynose or another small tetra or barb.

Thanks for the advice! But since cichlids need high ph wouldn't that hurt the tetras or rummy nose tetras?

Thanks for the advice! But since cichlids need high ph wouldn't that hurt the tetras or rummy nose tetras?
The dwarfs seem pretty adaptable, mine are in a tank with rummynose, soft water, 7.2-7.4 ph, they are loving life.. With certain cichlids the parameters definitely play a serious role..I am by no means an expert though..

The dwarfs seem pretty adaptable, mine are in a tank with rummynose, soft water, 7.2-7.4 ph, they are loving life.. With certain cichlids the parameters definitely play a serious role..I am by no means an expert though..

Thanks so much! I ordered 8 rummy nose for my 15 gallon and they didn't do so great.. Are apistos and rummy nose very sensitive? And do I have to have perfect water because I am only thirteen and I dont know if I have time to deal with that or if I know how to regulate it

Thanks so much! I ordered 8 rummy nose for my 15 gallon and they didn't do so great.. Are apistos and rummy nose very sensitive? And do I have to have perfect water because I am only thirteen and I dont know if I have time to deal with that or if I know how to regulate it
I've heard rn are actually pretty sensitive, cac's are a bit hardier, but I've found they stress easy with less than ideal tank mates, I've set up new tanks just to move fish that were messing w my apisto's. If you do not have at least 20 min a day minimum for your tank than think on it lil man. They will not tolerate high nitrates very well.

Not all cichlids are hard water fish. Apistogramma are certainly not. I'd have to say that cacatuoides are one of the all-around best species of Apistogramma for those that are new to dwarf cichlids. They're fairly hardy, not too aggressive even when spawning, and are pretty tolerant of mistakes.

Rummynose are difficult to find healthy- I say this as both a hobbyist and as a former employee of 2 lfs's.

Not all cichlids are hard water fish. Apistogramma are certainly not. I'd have to say that cacatuoides are one of the all-around best species of Apistogramma for those that are new to dwarf cichlids. They're fairly hardy, not too aggressive even when spawning, and are pretty tolerant of mistakes.

Rummynose are difficult to find healthy- I say this as both a hobbyist and as a former employee of 2 lfs's.
I agree 100 percent! Cacatouides are great apistos!

Here are a few of the Apistogramma that I've had at some point in the fishroom.

cacatuoides
DSC_0145.JPG

atahualpa
DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

borelli
DSC_0016.JPG

agassizii Alenquer
DSC_0061.JPG

agassizii F0 Peru
img_2800237_5_ad4247e251d2f694e0b73a1de58d4b98.jpg

Right now I've got a young pair of hongsloi that I grew out that recently started spawning, a growout tank for alacrina, a pair of rupununi, and that F0 Peru above. I've kept a bunch more species but I can't find all my pics.

Wow you guys have a great variety! Are they easy to breed and do I have to have a rock structure in the tank? And does it have to be heavily planted because I really want to do aquascaping but I can't seem to get all the element a right and fungus and algae won't stop!

Fungus and algae mean you have to much light or nutrients, or both. Id check to make sure your not over feeding. Mine really enjoy having rock caves and moss. I have a few plastic plants as extra cover. It doesnt have to be heavily planted, but lots of rock and driftwood will help you out.

Fungus and algae mean you have to much light or nutrients, or both. Id check to make sure your not over feeding. Mine really enjoy having rock caves and moss. I have a few plastic plants as extra cover. It doesnt have to be heavily planted, but lots of rock and driftwood will help you out.

Yea I think it's the lighting in my 15 because I don't over feed definitely but I have lowered the lighting to about 8 hours a day... And today I haut bought 2 oto cats to help clean up some of the algae... And my dwarf hairgrass is looking horrible it's practically brown all the way!!!!! I see little green shoots coming out but I just want to yank them out if the tank cause they look so bad! Any suggestions? Is there a hardier ground cover plant?

Back
Top Bottom