Upset Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonShiryu2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 2 1/2 old angelfish has been acting a little strange lately, but I know he isn't sick. I have come down to two things it may be;
1) I have a 4 year old heater that has never been replaced
2) I didn't use any chemicals (aquaclear and cycle) in the new water bucket I added in the last tank clean (about a week ago) and this was the first time I have ever run out.

Should I replace the heater or buy and add some Cycle and Aquafresh? Please help, I don't want him to die.

How big is the tank? What are the water parameters? Did you replace filter cartridges? If you didn't did you rinse them out in tap or tank water? Any other tank mates?

Get a thermometer, cheaper than the heater! And I would definitely say the lack of water conditioner has an impact, my mate killed a whole 120g tank of frontosas that way!

Don't be adding a bunch of different chemicals. Get a dechlor such as Prime and leave it at that. If your water change was 25% or less, the lack of dechlor should not have an impact.

bruinsbro1997 said:
How big is the tank? What are the water parameters? Did you replace filter cartridges? If you didn't did you rinse them out in tap or tank water? Any other tank mates?

It's 25Gal. Not sure what you mean by parameters... No, I rinsed them with tap water, as always. And it's just the two of them.

BillD; I've always put those chemicals in, and i think maybe the lack of them is upsetting him.

DragonShiryu2 said:
It's 25Gal. Not sure what you mean by parameters... No, I rinsed them with tap water, as always. And it's just the two of them.

BillD; I've always put those chemicals in, and i think maybe the lack of them is upsetting him.

As in ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Do you happen to have a liquid test kit on hand?

Rinsing them in tap water kills all the bacteria on the filters so then you're killing your major ammonia eater there...

bruinsbro1997 said:
As in ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Do you happen to have a liquid test kit on hand?

Rinsing them in tap water kills all the bacteria on the filters so then you're killing your major ammonia eater there...

No I don't have a tester kit, never could afford it. I'll bring it into the pet shop tomorrow so they can test it.

So how do I wash out my filters? Or do I just leave em as is?

DragonShiryu2 said:
No I don't have a tester kit, never could afford it. I'll bring it into the pet shop tomorrow so they can test it.

So how do I wash out my filters? Or do I just leave em as is?

Usually all you do is swish them in tank water-gets all the yucky stuff off but keeps the bacteria alive :)

I would keep doing some water changes, they can never hurt.

Back
Top Bottom