upside down cichlid. Is he gonna die??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pecosblues

Aquarium Advice Newbie
One of my African cichlids is attempting to swim, but he is head down and belly up. He can't seem to right himself at all. He was fine last night. I see no other problems on him. Possibly he is a bit bloated, but it is hard to tell looking at him upside down!

The other fish in the tank seem to be fine.

Tank parameters are: No Ammonia present, nitrites 0, nitrates between 5-10, PH is 7.4, the temperature is 78
This is a 55 gal. freshwater tank and has been set up for 1 year almost exactly.
My filteration system is a Whisper 30-60. I also have undergravel filteration.

Other fish in the tank are: 1 Placo (6"), 1 pictus cat (5"), Bali shark (7"), 3 African cichlids (5", 5", & 7") (including the sick one), and 1 lonely clown loach (4")

I did a partial, about 1/3 tank, water change & gravel vacuum 3 weeks ago. I only do this about every 2 months. I just add water when needed.

I have had these same fish in this aquarium for the last year. They all lived together the previous year in a 29 gal. tank. No new fish have been added.

Nothing else has been added for at least the last 6 months.

I just added 5 Tablespoons of aquarium salt disolved in a gallon of new water. When I did the water change I did not add any salt, but I did add a tablespoon of stress zyme.

Have I done the right thing? What else can I do and does anybody know what could be wrong?

Also, how old do these different fish live to be?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

PS. I do not have a QT tank. :(

Geez NO help from anybody!! Did I misspell something? Not give enough information?

Well anyway, I've isolated him to one side of the tank because the other fish were trying to eat him alive!! He doesn't look too well today. I must go to work now. If he's this bad this afternoon when I get home, I think I'll have to put him out of his misery. I don't like suffering!

They can live a long time, 5 to 10 years is not uncommon.
It sounds as if your fish has developed a swim-bladder or inner-ear problem.
I am not really sure what you should do. I had to euthanise a Clown Loach the other day who seemed to be getting worse and worse due to what I think were internal parasites that would I could not heal.
If he were my fish, I would watch and wait and see if anyone has anything more constructive to recommend. Jeff

I just added 5 Tablespoons of aquarium salt disolved in a gallon of new water. When I did the water change I did not add any salt, but I did add a tablespoon of stress zyme.
This will not do anything. More than likely it is an internal infection. I know Africans will shred up an ill fish quickly--it's nature's way of getting rid of the ill ones quickly. I'm sorry I wasn't on last night, my advice would have been to separate him and treat with antibodotics. However, without a QT tank, that advice will not help. When a fish goes downhill that fast, there is often no hope for them. If this were my cichlid, I would (have my husband) put it out of its misery.

well... he's gone now. :-(

One other cichlid now has pop eye!! Could this be stress related from me adding the tank divider... or the salt.... or are there other things I should look for. One big happy, healthy family can sure go down hill fast!

I am getting myself a QT tank for Christmas in case something like this happens again. Should I just set it up like there are fish in it & maintain it as such?

AUGHH!!!

I really appreciate the views & input I have received during this ordeal.

BTW, if this was an infection, should I expect others in the tank to possibly get it as well?

Should I do anything special to prevent this again?

Gosh, thank you so much for the links! I could have eventually found that info, but when you're freaked out over an ordeal, things can seem so far away... so to speak.

I have all that stuff except a heater. Thank you!

I'm happy to help. I hope the cichlid pulls through. My little guy did not (the one with popeye and twirling), but the other two are plugging along.

Back
Top Bottom