URGENT!: Just introduced Rose Queen to Red Devil/Rose/Flowerhorn Hybrid.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Konstandino

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HELP!

After my Red Devil/Flower horn/Something hybrid! (Can someone please ID this fish? Apparently it's not a rose queen) got used to his/her tank, I decided to introduce a RoseQueen Because I saw her in the store and fell in love.

The Gentlemen said they should be fine together, just offer plenty of hiding spaces and give them some time. The Red Devil/Flower was very aggressive when I introduced the Rose, they did a little tug of war w/ their lips and he/she went after the beautiful pink fish a few time.

Now it wasn't anything violent but I can see the new RoseQueen breathing and feeling attacked. This happened for about 30 minutes after introducing her to tank. so I moved everything to a corner to offer her some hiding space.

She gladly accepted and liked the hiding retreat. I also noticed then swaying side by side for like a minute rubbing their fins and bellies against each other in a circle!

They seem to be more calm now, but I'm so scared! Could the RedDevil/FlowerHorn attack and hurt her? He's just a little bit bigger than her, maybe by a quarter of an inch.

Will these two be able to live together or will I have an issue.

PLEASE HELP!

Attachments

• IMG_3054.jpg
    IMG_3054.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_3055.jpg
    IMG_3055.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_3062.jpg
    IMG_3062.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_3060.jpg
    IMG_3060.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 199
Last edited by a moderator:
Photo update

This was about 20 minutes ago.

They seem to be more calm. The rose Queen is hiding and the hybrid whatever he is, is in that silver vase. hard to see because i didn't have flash on.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_3062.jpg
    IMG_3062.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_3471.jpg
    IMG_3471.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 179
How big is the tank?

If its small, they will not have enough room to mark thier own territory, they will be at eachothers face all the time, and aggression levels then rise.

A large tank with 2 fish aggressive fish, is 'more' possible to lower aggression, and for them to live together. Especially with large fish like yours.

Most flowerhorns & red devils are so aggressive, they do tend to be better on their own. Trial and error with a large tank will be the key in my opinion. It worked for me. (Kept taking fish back and fourth to local fish store, until something worked. All fish lived, didn't let anything die)

Could someone please id these fish for sure for me? I've gotten so many mixed answers and i'm so frustrated at this point!

Thank you in advance.. Oh i also got a ph tester to make sure that water is okay, theyve got a great powerful filter, plenty of food and a good heater and thermometer. Any and all suggestions are open to me

thank you

How big is the tank?

If its small, they will not have enough room to mark thier own territory, they will be at eachothers face all the time, and aggression levels then rise.

A large tank with 2 fish aggressive fish, is 'more' possible to lower aggression, and for them to live together. Especially with large fish like yours.

Most flowerhorns & red devils are so aggressive, they do tend to be better on their own. Trial and error with a large tank will be the key in my opinion. It worked for me. (Kept taking fish back and fourth to local fish store, until something worked. All fish lived, didn't let anything die)

It's a 20 Gallon Tank! I know it's not the biggest but I could not afford anything bigger at the moment. They still look like teens, they aren't that huge but growing. It was challenging to find room for a bigger tank, but I'm open to getting one soon, or creating a way for them to live happily until I get a new one.

I know they need space and the gallon issue is so very frustrating! Can You ID these fish? I still don't have clarity on what they even are for sure! I never thought it would be so challenging to keep these beautiful fish. ;(

Konstandino

IMO unless your going to give them 150 gallons or so one will kill the other. these are both highly aggressive and will only get more aggressive with time.

Lord have Mercy! So I can't mix any other breed w/ them? What have I gotten myself into! Help! I almost want to get rid of the red/devil flowerhorn. Return it to store, donate it or something. It's just so aggressive at times.

The RoseQueen was just calm w/ him wasent relaliating... Will she get just as aggressive?

Lord have Mercy! So I can't mix any other breed w/ them? What have I gotten myself into! Help! I almost want to get rid of the red/devil flowerhorn. Return it to store, donate it or something. It's just so aggressive at times. The RoseQueen was just calm w/ him wasent relaliating... Will she get just as aggressive?
As they get bigger, yes. they both will get to at least 10" and will super aggressive

Im petrified that the orange one w/ hurt potentally kill the pink one because after indroducing the pink one he went bananas, and she was just avoiding him, being calm and trying to retreat, she didn't retaliate all all.

Your red devil/midas owns that tank. Its too small now for just the devil. The only answer is to take the other one back and realy the red devil shoulnt be in that size tank either.

Your red devil/midas owns that tank. Its too small now for just the devil. The only answer is to take the other one back and realy the red devil shoulnt be in that size tank either.

red devi/midus meaning the orange one correct? Take the Pink one back or the orange one? Sorry, I get confused w/ their names and breeds, it seems they are all hybrids and mixed. None of them are truly what the fish stores say they are.

Will I be okay tonight? by leaving them alone overnight?

Unfortunately there is no positive answer to that. you will just have to hope for the best. The oarnge one is a red devil or midas or a mix of the two. I know nothing of the rose queens. the red devil/ midas is a very aggressive fish and it just get worse as it gets older. as long as the one stays in the pot and the other one leaves it alone you will most likely be ok till tomorrow but no guarantee

Unfortunately there is no positive answer to that. you will just have to hope for the best. The oarnge one is a red devil or midas or a mix of the two. I know nothing of the rose queens. the red devil/ midas is a very aggressive fish and it just get worse as it gets older. as long as the one stays in the pot and the other one leaves it alone you will most likely be ok till tomorrow but no guarantee

I will have no choice but to donate/return the red devil/midus, being that's is so aggressive. I'll never be able to add other fish and get a larger tank. I just don't want to have that issue. I should shut the lights off the tank, and leave them alone perhaps they will calm down till the morning. The Pink one has nuzzled around the plant/rocks and is camouflaging herself.

to be honest as beautiful as it is the red devil/midus/orange one is so aggressive i don't think I could ever have another cicchlid in there, or course keeping in mind a bigger tank is needed yes.

What do you guys think? I don't want to deal w such an aggressive fish, yet so beautiful. It's so challenging because the pet stores never tell you these things! ;(

Should I put one in my older tank until tomorrow when I return it to the pet store to be on the safe side? The orange one periodly pops out and hovers over the pink one then goes back in his cave.

the pink one is changing positisions and looks likes she can't move in the corner,shes trying to find the best way to be un noticed.

Well a 20g is not big enough for either of those fish even alone. I suggest at least a 55 gallon to keep one of them.

Okay, I'll have to separate them now then. I don't the orange one hurting the pink one overnight.

My God this is so stressful, and my mistake.

Back
Top Bottom