UV testing for a cichlid setup - Any experiences out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was given the opportunity to try out a AquaTop 13 watt fully submersible UV sterilizer with built in pump. It's for up to 100 gallons.

I figured for free why not. I have to give it back in 2 weeks with a review for my buddy's fish shop. Here's the pics. Top is with the UV, I tried to hide it and the bottom of course is without. The UV has been running for a day and a half so far.

img_2449673_0_ff466cdd753dfaa47eaeecb2a7310df4.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! The top looks like something you would see in national geographic. Crystal clear, colours pop and the depth it shows. Who knew it would make that much of a visible difference. Or that your tank could possibly get any better! :p So jealous!

Wow! The top looks like something you would see in national geographic. Crystal clear, colours pop and the depth it shows. Who knew it would make that much of a visible difference. Or that your tank could possibly get any better! :p So jealous!

Thanks! So there's a difference obviously lol...

Ooh it's like a game of where's Waldo? The only difference I see is the fake plant blocking the light, which is changing the appearance of the tank. Just send me the money your going to waste on that and I'll donate it to the Multiple Sclerosis Society for my wife.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5x5
Wow! It makes a huge difference. I have read that it doesn't do much of anything but there defiantly is a difference and it makes it look better to me. (I know you're OCD, so now you gotta buy one)

Ooh it's like a game of where's Waldo? The only difference I see is the fake plant blocking the light, which is changing the appearance of the tank. Just send me the money your going to waste on that and I'll donate it to the Multiple Sclerosis fund for my wife.

I was waiting for that... I didn't pay for it and its not mine to keep. I'm testing the product for my friend who owns a fish shop one town over. We're good friends and he asked me of wanted to try it out. I told him sure. I already hate the bulkiness of it, it's literally as tall as the tank. That's why I had to mount it horizontally and it was just a horrible eye sore I had to attempt to hide it.

With that all said... I'll still make a donation, if you PM the details is be happy to help out.

Let me add the pic before the fake plant

img_2450164_0_7fb74a61aed271a64435f1decf707d80.jpg

img_2450164_1_5fb687cbc71943f2030073083f0b1a69.jpg

This thing is truly a minster!! And I don't mean that in a good way. It's HUGE!!

The first picture does indeed look better simply because the light is not as harsh and it's softening the features through shadowing, it would be cool to work a little green into the hard scape IMO. I say ditch th UV and keep the plant or find a way to defuse the light.

Honestly I think HUKIT is right. If you look the picture with the plant is changing the way the light hits the tank. Even the pic without the plant looks the same as the pic without the UV. Well.. I said I'd give it 2 weeks so...

I found a good website about choosing the right uv sterilizer most of the ones sold only clear the water and don't do much for parasites and diseases and what not. But they do make the water like glass. I have a filter with one built ii n and between that and the chemipure elite sometimes it doesn't even look like there's water in the tank. Your tank looks amazjng bro. Mabey you can talk him into letting you keep it for payment of the review. LoL

I actually removed it lol. It was killing my OCD and an eye sore. Also for the amount of time I've had it I saw no change. I do weekly water changes and change out my poly fill 2-3 times a day so... I think I'm good :)

I just met Joe Gargas (look him up) H2O expert and he praised the benefits of a UV filter. He even talked up the use of protein skimmer in a freshwater system. Now mind you he has an external uv system that the water flows through after being thoroughly filtered before entering his tanks.

I just met Joe Gargas (look him up) H2O expert and he praised the benefits of a UV filter. He even talked up the use of protein skimmer in a freshwater system. Now mind you he has an external uv system that the water flows through after being thoroughly filtered before entering his tanks.

I will look him up. I haven't seen a difference TBO maybe haven't used for enough time. It's a 13 watt. Rated for 100 gallons.

You change your poly fill 3 times a day!? Jeez. I have a very fine cloth in my filters, will I need to change that daily? Or is that just you

Back
Top Bottom