Vacation with a Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peteostler43614

Aquarium Advice Activist
In a couple of weeks I am going on Vacation for about 2 weeks for the holidays. I recently acquired a Tiger Oscar, and am wondering what everyone suggests for feeding him during my vacation. I am nervous for an automatic feeder because I have found none that someone has not had a terrible experience with. I am using the API 14 day vacation feeder for my community tank, but I have never vacationed since getting the oscar. Thanks for the help.

Hi, whichever you go for, I would test before you go. I had a 5 day feeder block dissolve overnight and had to go with a different brand. Can a neighbor pop in?

I have not had one not fail. I will always ask someone else to help out while I am gone for more than 3 days.

I have not had one not fail. I will always ask someone else to help out while I am gone for more than 3 days.

This. I keep those S-M-T-W-T-F-S medicine trays and fill them with food before i leave so when my friend comes over to feed they just dump it in and done!

This. I keep those S-M-T-W-T-F-S medicine trays and fill them with food before i leave so when my friend comes over to feed they just dump it in and done!

This is a great method I keep telling myself I have to get one of those.

I have 2 rotating automatic feeders on my tanks and they work great. If you use up to a medium sized pellet in them, then you can control the amount given per feeding. It takes a little trial and error before you have it dialed in.

With an oscar and other type fish that like to fly out of tanks during chow time...be cautious. They'll learn in 2 days the precise time and location of the food. You'll only need a 2x2in opening on the back of your tank where feeder vise clamps on.

I've used for vacations up to 2weeks with no issues. Just water evap.

I'm away from home right now, but will be back tonight if you'd like pics. I believe it's actually a petco product.

I have 2 rotating automatic feeders on my tanks and they work great. If you use up to a medium sized pellet in them, then you can control the amount given per feeding. It takes a little trial and error before you have it dialed in.

With an oscar and other type fish that like to fly out of tanks during chow time...be cautious. They'll learn in 2 days the precise time and location of the food. You'll only need a 2x2in opening on the back of your tank where feeder vise clamps on.

I've used for vacations up to 2weeks with no issues. Just water evap.

I'm away from home right now, but will be back tonight if you'd like pics. I believe it's actually a petco product.

Pics would be great if you get a chance. I really should have a proper look at this for the holidays.

Sorry I didn't get in till late yesterday , but haven't forgotten about the auto feeder pics.
This one is filled with an nls 1mm pellet. It is on the '2.5' setting which regulates the food portions to roughly 6 pellets per rotation. This is where the trial and error comes in.
You also have the option to have it rotate up to 8x for feedings in 24hr.

Kind of a quick scenario that I'm sure sounds confusing. Let me know if it is:)

Attachments

• image-1130409250.jpg
    image-1130409250.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 97
  • image-2067612463.jpg
    image-2067612463.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 95
Sorry I didn't get in till late yesterday , but haven't forgotten about the auto feeder pics.
This one is filled with an nls 1mm pellet. It is on the '2.5' setting which regulates the food portions to roughly 6 pellets per rotation. This is where the trial and error comes in.
You also have the option to have it rotate up to 8x for feedings in 24hr.

Kind of a quick scenario that I'm sure sounds confusing. Let me know if it is:)
Wow. nice accessory! I'm getting me one. :D

Glad I could assistsis! Ain't spell check a mother:) vice not vise!
This auto feeder will cover you on vacations. Better than some people we all might ask to simply feed a tank.
Also, a 2 or 3mm pellet could be used for larger fish. For a fry/small fish tank, it could be adjusted to feed a crushed pellet and flake food.

Back
Top Bottom