veggies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Critter1990

Aquarium Advice Activist
does anyone know what kind of veggies i can feed to my jack dempsey? i know veggies are very important in the diet. so if anyone has a JD that likes a certain veggie please let me know. thanks in advanced.

Critter1990 said:
does anyone know what kind of veggies i can feed to my jack dempsey? i know veggies are very important in the diet. so if anyone has a JD that likes a certain veggie please let me know. thanks in advanced.

I feed my jacks peeled peas that are soaked in garlic juice every once in a while. They love it!!!!

Post some pics of your jack. I would love to check it out. I love my pair.

Jacks are carnivores that feed mainly on live fish, insects, worms, and crustaceans in the wild, they don't require vegetable matter in their diet. A diet of high quality pellets with some additions of crickets, nightcrawlers, or blood works is a perfect diet.

HUKIT said:
Jacks are carnivores that feed mainly on insects, worms, and crustaceans in the wild, they don't require vegetable in their diet. A diet of high quality pellets with some additions of crickets, nightcrawlers, or blood works is a perfect diet.

I have been feeding mine the peas once in a while. (steal a few on nights when the wife serves peas with dinner, which isn't too often as I don't eat them myself) shouldn't do them any harm should it? I mean they really tear them up!

Critter1990 said:
cbourg746 what elese do you have in the tank with your jack?

I have a male blue genotype jack and a female blue genotype jack in the tank together. That's all. They are in a 55g. Hoping I can get them to spawn and produce some electric blue jack dempsey's. Ratio hopefully would be 50% regular 25% genotype 25% electric blue.

oh i see thats pretty cool. I have an AC110, and two AC 50s on my 55g and my intake tubes and just about everything else turns brown after 2 weeks of cleaning lol You ever have this problem? I feed twice a day and small ampunts each time.

Critter1990 said:
oh i see thats pretty cool. I have an AC110, and two AC 50s on my 55g and my intake tubes and just about everything else turns brown after 2 weeks of cleaning lol You ever have this problem? I feed twice a day and small ampunts each time.

I guess I've been lucky, but I haven't had any algae blooms at all. I do 30-50% water changes weekly and I only keep my lights on for about 4-6 hours a day. What are you feeding? (pellets, frozen, flakes, live.......)

cbourg746 said:
I guess I've been lucky, but I haven't had any algae blooms at all. I do 30-50% water changes weekly and I only keep my lights on for about 4-6 hours a day. What are you feeding? (pellets, frozen, flakes, live.......)

Those aren't algae blooms. Every filter I have run in my many years of fishkeeping have done the same.

Malawi Freak said:
Those aren't algae blooms. Every filter I have run in my many years of fishkeeping have done the same.

I get the brown stuff on the intake tubes and the outflow of my filters but when he said EVERYTHING starts to turn brown I assumed it meant decor and plants also, thus making me think, algae. Sorry.

i dont have jd but have many meat eaters so what i do is feed the live feeders and ghost shrimp a vitamin rich meal before they take the plunge in the tank(y)

Sorry I was unclear but yes all the decor and plants get a brown color to it. Maybe I'll try and get an algae eater and see if that works

Critter1990 said:
Sorry I was unclear but yes all the decor and plants get a brown color to it. Maybe I'll try and get an algae eater and see if that works

What kind of filtration do you have?

I know that's why I'm so confused about the algae. I do 25% water change every Sunday and a power clean with at least 50% once a month

Back
Top Bottom