Video take 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The pictures you have of your macullpinnis are amazing, some of the best looking ones I've seen! The Herichthys carpintis isn't to shabby either:)

Last edited:
The pictures you have of your macullpinnis are amazing, some of the best looking ones I've seen! The Herichthys carpintis is to shabby either:)

I would have to agree, kinda makes me want some carpintis! I can't wait to see what my Gold Mixteco will look like once they are the size of your macullpinnis.

Thank you so much Hukit and Mogurako. Unfortunately, because of limited tank space, these are the only 2 species I have. I am so pleased how the 2 pairs have matured. Both showing exquisite colouration. My macullpinnis are continuing to be great parents. The male is particularly doting. He likes to just hover amongst his progeny. I am expecting my carpintis to spawn any day now. They are so much fun to watch with all their excavating and rock cleaning. Very busy cichlids. Tonight I moved them into a 5 foot tank and they immediately began their site cleaning. A very successful transfer. Minimum stress. I would like to see your photos of the gold mixteco. I haven't seen any for sale where I live.

Thank you so much Hukit and Mogurako. Unfortunately, because of limited tank space, these are the only 2 species I have. I am so pleased how the 2 pairs have matured. Both showing exquisite colouration. My macullpinnis are continuing to be great parents. The male is particularly doting. He likes to just hover amongst his progeny. I am expecting my carpintis to spawn any day now. They are so much fun to watch with all their excavating and rock cleaning. Very busy cichlids. Tonight I moved them into a 5 foot tank and they immediately began their site cleaning. A very successful transfer. Minimum stress. I would like to see your photos of the gold mixteco. I haven't seen any for sale where I live.

Can't wait to see more pictures! The reasons you listed above are certainly some of the main reasons I keep new world cichlids, there is nothing cooling than watching fish fiercely guarding from other fish.

I would like to see your photos of the gold mixteco. I haven't seen any for sale where I live.

There is no shame in only having enough tank space for two species, especially when they look so good! I've got some pretty limited space as well.

I'll try and take some new pictures of my Mixtecos tonight, the only ones I have are older slightly blurry pictures of one of my females.

I agree. They are fascinating to watch. When I purchased my macullpinnis, they were selling them as peaceful cichlids. Well not if you have a compatible pair! They were even tough enough to scare off the carpintis! Hence the separation ;) I look forward to seeing your photos. It's fine if they are blurry, all of mine are.

I think you have to be lucky. I have only seen the macullpinnis once in one store. The guy said they were uncommon. Cost me $80 for the pair and lucky for me they were compatible. I love their looks. Same with the carpintis. One store (different) and $80 the pair. I guess because I am going into aquarium shops frequently, I was just lucky to get these :)

Wow! They are stunning. Nice shots. I can never get my photos this clear. So these are your gold mixteco? They look like macullpinnis.

Yes, they are F1 "Gold Mixteco" Rio Coatzacoalcos, I got them from The Wet Spot in Portland Oregon who buys allot of their Centrals directly from Rusty Wessel. I agree they do look a bit like macullpinnis, however macullpinnis/ellioti have allot more red in the bellies/fins than the Mixtecos do.

That's great to have a contact. I can definitely see the gold in them. They should colour up even more when ready to breed. Have any of them paired up? just love those faces :) Thanks for showing me your gold beauties.

That's great to have a contact. I can definitely see the gold in them. They should colour up even more when ready to breed. Have any of them paired up? just love those faces :) Thanks for showing me your gold beauties.

They actually go completely tan/gold and bar up when they spawn. I think Hukit may still have the video I sent him of them in breeding dress, I deleted it by accident. I bought 6 fish and just so happened I got 3 pairs out of it. All three pairs have spawned however, the smallest pair is about 3-3.5" and are the ones that spawn the most. The big dominate male is typically to busy strutting around to spawn. I've gotten about 3-4 spawns out of them managed to save about 20+ fry that are growing out in a 10 gallon.

I would really like to see that video.
Yeah they are sensitive to any distraction. My male was beating the hell out of my Texas male. Every time they ( macullpinnis ) tried to spawn, he would go and show tex who was boss. Now they have their own tanks, both pair have settled down nicely.

I plan on putting the 3 pairs in to a 6' 125 gallon so they all have their own space. I think my large male spends his time just defending his turf they anything else. Strangely enough the only fish with spilt fins is his female.

Fantastic :) That would be ideal. Did you just buy a new tank?

No I wish I had! We're moving to a bigger place this fall, hopefully! Then I can get a few 6' tanks for the big boys I want as well as get more room for my Mixtecos. I'm pretty maxed out on space as it is, just take a peek at my tanks on my about me page.

No I wish I had! We're moving to a bigger place this fall, hopefully! Then I can get a few 6' tanks for the big boys I want as well as get more room for my Mixtecos. I'm pretty maxed out on space as it is, just take a peek at my tanks on my about me page.

Wow. I'm starting to regret not getting some of these. You have a great pair. I saw the video, Hukit must have forwarded to me at some point.

Back
Top Bottom