Vinegar on Texas Holey Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it safe to "bleach" holey Rock with vinegar? I'm trying to get them really white for my new tank and vinegar seems to be what people use, has anyone else tried vinegar or anything else?

I have never tried it but it should be safe. I would probably soak it clean water afterwards.

The only thing I have used to bleach holey rock is......bleach.

I was going to use bleach but others have said that vinegar is better. How was your outcome with bleach? What process did you use as far as ratio to water and how long and how'd you soak it afterwards in clean water?

I was going to use bleach but others have said that vinegar is better. How was your outcome with bleach? What process did you use as far as ratio to water and how long and how'd you soak it afterwards in clean water?
It probably is better, I just haven't tried it.

I don't remember what the concentration was. I know I used a lot of bleach though so I would guess 1:20 maybe? I would definitely google that though.

I soaked it in clean water with 10x dose of Prime for a days, twice and then sat it in the Texas summer sun for 3 days. That may be overkill but I was nervous about it.

Holey rock is so porous that I would much rather have traces of vinegar in my tank than traces of bleach if the vinegar works.

Back
Top Bottom