Want to add something in with my Texas Cichlids pair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Onecell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok i have a 135 gallon tank with a breeding pair of texas mom is 4-5" dad is 6-7" also have about 20 fry left in there about 1"-2". I was hoping to get another breeding pair in there but cant think of how to do it or if any would work with them. Or what a good pair would be to go with them.

You might not want to get another breeding pair of fish in that tank. You could try adding a single semi aggressive cichlid and you should be OK. Maybe a JD or GT. If you insist on going for a breeding pair maybe Convicts as they are pretty small and will have plenty of space away from the Texas pair, and can still stick up for themselves if they have to.

If it were me I would stay away from a breeding pair. Just too much aggression in cichlids for that.

I was thinking of somesort of frontosas will that not work? Or can i add a few more female taxes to make a colony?

I was thinking of somesort of frontosas will that not work? Or can i add a few more female taxes to make a colony?

Africans and American cichlids is in the same tank is almost never a good idea. As they're a breeding pair, would it be possible to stash them in a spare 20 or 30 and just go with Fronts in the 125. In a tank that size they would be stunning. Jeff

For some reason I was thinking you said Convicts, not Texas Ciclids. Texas Cichlids would need a lot more space than a 30.
I don't think I would want to add anything to that tank. Jeff

If you really want to add another fish to the tank it should be a fish that won't compete with the established pair. Thats why I suggested another species such as convicts. They won't be viewed as a threat and may be able to exist peacefully. I would never say its impossible to add another Texas so just keep an eye out as there could be some aggression. If
you try Fronts you should know that they aren't very aggressive and would probably get a good beating from the Texas. And they need different water params.
I really think you'd be able to keep a JD in there as there is plenty of room for another fish, its just the aggression from a pair that causes problems.

Back
Top Bottom