want to add to my stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christine2012

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Currently here is my stock.
-One yellow lab (lost his partner recently ) may or may not replace her.
-one unsexed auratus
-two mated jewel cichlids (I am trying to rehome these two )
-two yellow tail acei
-one featherfin catfish

These are in my 55 gallon and now that our tank has become stable I'd like to add.
I really love the blue johanni, would a pair of these work? I am open to suggestions. I am partial to diggers and also looking to add a top swimmer or two. Also I have not added anything in a long while so I'm curious as to HOW to add more, in groups or one by one. Thanks in advance!

Most likely 10-12 fish if you stick with Malawi Cichlids...make sure you double your filtration for your tank size to comp for their bio-load...

I have a electric blue johanni in my tank and he is aggressive, so I would only get one. If you get two, then chances are they would fight til one dies. Others to add to your stock, I would suggest a kenyi and a borleyi. If you want more of a certain species its recommended that you get 1 male to 3 or 4 females. Similar size is important when adding stock. I recently added a group to my tank and they all stick together, so I would suggest this, rather than individually.

I had an EB Johanni in with my 5 Yellow Labs, etc and it was way too aggressive; it was nearly killing them, so I had to trade it in. I currently have a female Borleyi (Red Fin) in my 55, but it's going to get too big (8") for a 55, so I will have to trade it in as well. I also have a Featherfin Squeaker, but again having learned that they can get up to 8", I may have to trade that one up as well.

You really don't want to get any fish that will exceed 6" in a standard 55 gallon aquarium. Having to trade up fish that don't work out really stinks, so I would really do your homework before you decide on what to add. I'm actually trying to find suitable tank mates for my 5 Labs in my 55 as well, so I'll be interested in hearing what folks recommend to you.

I have been considering an Auratus myself. It's the right size, but I'm not 100% convinced that they are not too aggressive. They sure are pretty, though.

Some other unasked for advice :)

If you have multiple Yellow Labs you should consider 4 or more or the dominant male may be too aggressive with all others and stress them to death. When I had just 2 one was always beating up the other one. No problems at all with 5, though. They look much better in a group anyway.

If you have multiple Aceis they should be in groups of at least 3:1 F:M ratio or the males may be too aggressive with the females and stress them to death. I've had terrible luck keeping Aceis alive. I've had two batches and they were both wiped out by some strange blight. Some folks say they are too aggressive to go with Labs, but I'm not sure I buy that. I may give them a try again if I have the capacity to get the right ratio and number of them.

So, really, you could pick up 3 more Labs and 3 or 4 or more Acei. You may want to keep your Auratus solitary. It looks like they are very aggressive with each other. Whatever you choose, stick with Mbuna. Don't mix Mbuna, Peacocks, and/or Haps.

I've also had people recommend Red Zebras, but again, opinions vary on their compatibility with Labs.

I might just add a few more acei and yellow labs. You crushed my dreams with your johanni experience! I'd love one, but as of now my tank dynamics are a-ok. I'd hate to throw that off. My auratus mainly keeps to himself, thank goodness because a previous one that I had a few years ago was a nightmare! I guess it's hit or miss with those guys. I'm pretty sure my acei are one male one female Judging on size and eggspots. So find a few females then? I figured I'd have to do that sooner or later. Also my aceis don't really mess with my lab a lot. I'm really loving the acei, tons of personality except they nip me every time I stick my hand in! I wonder if they come in any other color and if my existing ones would accept some of a different color. Lots to consider. Thank you :)

christine2012 said:
I might just add a few more acei and yellow labs. You crushed my dreams with your johanni experience! I'd love one, but as of now my tank dynamics are a-ok. I'd hate to throw that off. My auratus mainly keeps to himself, thank goodness because a previous one that I had a few years ago was a nightmare! I guess it's hit or miss with those guys. I'm pretty sure my acei are one male one female Judging on size and eggspots. So find a few females then? I figured I'd have to do that sooner or later. Also my aceis don't really mess with my lab a lot. I'm really loving the acei, tons of personality except they nip me every time I stick my hand in! I wonder if they come in any other color and if my existing ones would accept some of a different color. Lots to consider. Thank you :)

Quick ? What is the size of your tank? Acei are more suited for a 6' long tank..also egg spots on cichlids doesn't def determine the sex..venting being the definite method for sexing..

tiger terror said:
Quick ? What is the size of your tank? Acei are more suited for a 6' long tank..also egg spots on cichlids doesn't def determine the sex..venting being the definite method for sexing..

See I've read 4' but I defer to folks that have done more research than I have on Aceis.

christine2012 said:

Sorry about that. I hated trading my Johanni in. It was the best looking fish in the tank. Mean as sin, thought. Yellow-tail Aceis should all look similar, although males may be more vibrant.

Labenator65000 said:
Sorry about that. I hated trading my Johanni in. It was the best looking fish in the tank. Mean as sin, thought. Yellow-tail Aceis should all look similar, although males may be more vibrant.

image-3558757181.jpg

I had a wonderful johanni... May he RIP. had him for a long time he was one of my smallest but most agressive they are definatly Nasty fish.
Didnt stop me from getting another but to be
Honest i would rehome the jewels and get a few zebras and afras or something
Of that sort

Jacobsal91 said:
I had a wonderful johanni... May he RIP. had him for a long time he was one of my smallest but most agressive they are definatly Nasty fish.
Didnt stop me from getting another but to be
Honest i would rehome the jewels and get a few zebras and afras or something
Of that sort

I do like the blue zebras. Thanks y'all! Do you know of a reputable website who sells grown out fish? My only lfs are two petsmarts and a PETCO lol

Labenator65000 said:
See I've read 4' but I defer to folks that have done more research than I have on Aceis.

I've seen 4' as well. I see why they suggest 6' though. When I bought them at petsmart the tag said 20 gallons, can you believe that!

tiger terror said:

There is an obvious difference between the two I've got. That's all I'm able to judge on. One has eggspots and is bigger, and the suspected female is getting a really cool black strip on her tail. The tank is right at 4'

Last edited by a moderator:
I got some afras! I'm super excited about these guys, they are just stunning! Also took a really big chance (not my style but sometimes I take a chance :cringe: ) and got a juvi johanni. And the crazy thing is my auratus seems to have taken a maternal instinct toward this baby johanni who is probably 1/5 of its size. Funny to watch auratus protect him! Cross your fingers for me!

Back
Top Bottom