Want to start a Cichlid tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark_L

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, I've had a 55 gal tank for a while, and I just recently got a new canister filter (264 gal/hr) and re-homed the older fish. So now I'm looking for more exiting fish than previous (being neon tetras, glow light tetras, long fin tetras, Australian rainbow, mollies, silver dollar), so now I'm considering cichlids. If anyone can, what specifically do I need to start a Cichlid tank, and what kind of cichlids do I get?

Well, the main question is: do you want african cichlids or central/south american??

Well personally I prefer the colors of African.. However I hear South American cichlids are more peaceful with each-other.

Yup, Africans are generally more colorful, but can only be kept with other africans, whereas SA/CAs can be mixed with other fish.

South Americans are generally too big for a 55gallon.

Africans would be better. You could do Tanganyikans, Malawi, or Victorias. A tropheus tank is really fun too.

Within lake Makawi the three most common types are Mbuna, aulonocara, and Haplochromis. As well as many others.
For a 55 id focus on Mbuna. And aulonocara, many (not all) haps get pretty large for a 55.
I love Australian Rainbows. I actually kept them with my African cichlids for a long time, but I sold them last month to do an all Cichlid tank.

I think Tanganyikans would be a cool comprimise.

You can definitely do SA's just be careful not to get too large of species. Rainbow cichlids are some of my favorite SA's and would be fine for a 55g.

Back
Top Bottom