Was I starving my gbr's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ummmm GBRs are social fish. And sometimes male Cichlids kill their own pair just to kill it. Fish arent humans they live to survive not to cry about a dead mate.You seem a bit misinformed

Have you any first hand experience with rams? Sounds like you just like to talk.. ask some members on here about the behavior of their rams when they lost their mate.. I'm properly informed through first hand experiences and those shared by others.. male cichlids do indeed kill off other fish for no apparent reason, I'm sure they have a motive though..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There are many species that do get depressed when a mate dies. Many cichlid species exhibit a monogamous pair, and mate for life. I have even heard of individuals withering away into nothing when their mate died. You seem to be misinformed.
Hello wake up she is putting more fish into the tank. The ram will move on.

Strains are just different colors of the fish, not different species.Are black people a different species than white people?No.They are both human.Same with the rams
You can't compare fish to humans in that sense. It is not the same, nor will it ever be. All skin colors DO OCCUR NATURALLY and have not been manipulated by artificial selection and line breeding. Strains are completely different from wild individuals. If you have a strain that doesn't exist in the wild, how can you have a wild caught individual.

Oh and most cichlids are not carnivorous. Basically all mbuna species are herbivorous for example.

Have you any first hand experience with rams? Sounds like you just like to talk.. ask some members on here about the behavior of their rams when they lost their mate.. I'm properly informed through first hand experiences and those shared by others.. male cichlids do indeed kill off other fish for no apparent reason, I'm sure they have a motive though..

Yes i have had a pair of german blue rams(which mated for a year and a half). The male killed off the female in a 40 gallon tank. I put another female in their and they have been mating for 4 years now with no problems.Your point?

For your info most cichlids are carnivorus. And what. There is such thing as wild GBRs most are just commercially bred ones from asia. They originate from the Orinoco River, Venezuela and the savannahs of Columbia, South America. So isnt algae a plant? They cant be omnivorus without plants. I would love a snickers but you already ate them all.

I got that, sherlock. Go look at your previous response. You never specified South American. And even then, a vast majority of south american species are omnivorous.

You can't compare fish to humans in that sense. It is not the same, nor will it ever be. All skin colors DO OCCUR NATURALLY and have not been manipulated by artificial selection and line breeding. Strains are completely different from wild individuals. If you have a strain that doesn't exist in the wild, how can you have a wild caught individual.

You are very ignorant.

Explain to me my ignorance, because that is far from the truth. You have a thread about how big amatitlania nigrofasciatus get, the most commonly kept Central American species, something google can tell you in 5 seconds. I've worked in pet shops for a total of 5 years, helped out in a fish store for about 2 years, and was just hired at a Humane Society shelter. I have been with animals my entire life, and research many species constantly.

I got that, sherlock. Go look at your previous response. You never specified South American. And even then, a vast majority of south american species are omnivorous.

You are arguing that most cichlids arent carnivorus.I didnt say anything about omnivorus. But i want you to name 10 cichlids that are strictly herbavorus off the top of your head.

Okay so my question, please clarify,

Brook you said I could get him a female but he might not like her, I don't want to breed for a while and probably not him. We are getting a tank ready--maybe a breeding tank for ONE pair of gbrs which I will buy from this breeder in San Diego, who has good reviews from this forum--if we decide to get more.

My 180 has tons of fish, maybe border line over stocked. If he NEEDS a female I will get him one otherwise can't he just hang out with his little angel buddy?

I really appreciate every one's help, but I don't want the thread to be closed before my question is answered.

Sent from my iPhone

Sorry OP, back to your tank

Your tank is amazing by the way. I really like it! Instead of going the route of more rams, you could look into some less common species, like maybe biotodoma cupido (cupid cichlid) or maybe cleithracara maronii (keyhole)? Not as colorful as rams, but a bit bigger, and will be more visible in a tank of your size. Both species are extremely peaceful, and uncommon.

Okay so my question, please clarify,

Brook you said I could get him a female but he might not like her, I don't want to breed for a while and probably not him. We are getting a tank ready--maybe a breeding tank for ONE pair of gbrs which I will buy from this breeder in San Diego, who has good reviews from this forum--if we decide to get more.

My 180 has tons of fish, maybe border line over stocked. If he NEEDS a female I will get him one otherwise can't he just hang out with his little angel buddy?

I really appreciate every one's help, but I don't want the thread to be closed before my question is answered.

Sent from my iPhone

Yah, sorry about all the jibba jabba, just trying to keep the info. Legit.. so yah, he should be fine on his own..

I'm really sorry I started a fight, and I'm sorry if my questions are stupid, but I didn't read any thing about the rams needing to eat algae wafers and since he usually spits the flakes out and ignored the ciclid balls.... You see where I come from.

Sent from my iPhone

ya know what freak gecko how bout we just forget about the argument. I dont like it. We can be friends instead

You are arguing that most cichlids arent carnivorus.I didnt say anything about omnivorus. But i want you to name 10 cichlids that are strictly herbavorus off the top of your head.

I just told you, EVERY MBUNA SPECIES IS HERBIVOROUS! They are algae grazers! I can also name some south and central americans if you'd like

Uaru amphianthancoides
Uaru fernandezyepezi
Heros severus (not fully herbivorous, but will eat plants like there's no tomorrow)
Heros efasciatus (not fully herbivorous, but will eat plants like there's no tomorrow)
Herichthys bocourti
ex-Cichlasoma Pearseii

Oh, and then theres some tanganyikans too, like
Spathodus genus
Tanganicodus genus
Eretmodus genus.
All tropheus species

And yes, every single one off the top of my head.

ya know what freak gecko how bout we just forget about the argument. I dont like it. We can be friends instead

Nope. I'm good. I do not befriend people who are comfortable with giving inaccurate information, and calling me out as ignorant. I am far from ignorant thank you.

I'm really sorry I started a fight, and I'm sorry if my questions are stupid, but I didn't read any thing about the rams needing to eat algae wafers and since he usually spits the flakes out and ignored the ciclid balls.... You see where I come from.

Sent from my iPhone

Stop it haha, you had a perfectly reasonable question that attracted some unreasonable responses.. you're just trying to do what's best for your fish, for that.. we salute you:)

Sent from my iPhone

What brand pellets are you feeding? I strictly feed NLS (New life spectrum) and have had nothing but success with it. Very high quality, and most fish love it. I have Thera A as well as small fish formula, and a cichlid formula.

They definitely do NOT need algae wafers by any means

Back
Top Bottom