water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isiah1820

Aquarium Advice Freak
Had my 29g mbuna tank for about a week now with 4 cichlids how and when should I clean/change the water on this tank??

Firstly

How old is the tank?
Was it cycled?
How did you cycle?

Water changes should be done when Nitrates are still under 20ppm.

Do you own a testing kit?
Strips or liquid?

What are the parameters of your test results?

Jon

Had it for about a week and set every thing up and let it sit for a day then added fish 4 Africans they killed my Chinese algae eater

Go get a freshwater test kit for PH and Ammonia at a minimum today. Not next week, today. Test the water and show us what it tells you.

Preferably get the API Freshwater Master Test Kit and test all the parameters it lets you, and report back.

Then everyone here can help you with your tank.

hpiguy said:
Go get a freshwater test kit for PH and Ammonia at a minimum today. Not next week, today. Test the water and show us what it tells you.

Preferably get the API Freshwater Master Test Kit and test all the parameters it lets you, and report back.

Couldn't agree more, your going to need these or you will have dead fish in no time. You will need to know the Ph as you have African Cichlids that need a specific level of Ph, after a while you will get an ammonia spike which is lethal to everything in the tank, followed by a Nitrite spike a while after which is then also lethal to all tank inhabitants and then a Nitrate spike which, yep - is lethal again, at which point you will be cycled and safe for for fish. The whole process can take a few weeks and will require regular water testing, water changes etc. Once you get the kit and get your results post them up and we will be glad to help.

Great read for cycling process

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

I do have inhabitants now doin well so far, but also how do you reverse tho affects in the water

isiah1820 said:
I do have inhabitants now doin well so far, but also how do you reverse tho affects in the water

Water changes adding crushed coral stuff like that. But you need a test kit to know how and when to do it.

Back
Top Bottom