Water Conditions for a South American Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Low hardness, pH 7.0 should be ideal!
Although you can work with higher hardnesses and pH to 7.5-7.6 easily, as long as the parameters are stable! That's more important then having the exact parameters they would get in the wild.

Good luck!

I agree with Thomas, it is better to have a stable ph in the long run. Adding driftwood to the tank will lower it and not create wild swings. It is much harder to soften water than it is to harden it.

I'm pretty lucky as my water usually has a ph of 7.2 and a dkh of 3 right out of the tap.

Jchillin said:
I agree with Thomas, it is better to have a stable ph in the long run. Adding driftwood to the tank will lower it and not create wild swings. It is much harder to soften water than it is to harden it.

I'm pretty lucky as my water usually has a ph of 7.2 and a dkh of 3 right out of the tap.

nice.... here in north dallas suburbs, it is 7.8-7.9 and dkh of 1000 (not sure of the kH... but its pretty hard :D)

This is one of the few times I'll disagree--most normal fish would have no problems with those parameters. Discus, however, need to be pampered a bit. The closer to natural parameters you can get the better, and they are a lot of work. Cardinal tetras need the same, if you were going to get those as well.

Back
Top Bottom