water getting too warm????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
this morning i went off to work and like always right before i leave i turn the lights one get some other things ready and then feed my fish, but today i noticed when i came back was way hot 86 and the fish and plants were acting/looking normal so i unplugged the heater just in case and i thought it was the stick on thermometer, so i went i got 2 more that i had and they all gave me different readings so i new there was something wrong and i went and bought a floater one and stocked it to the glass, my question is were the thermometers wrong or its due that my lights were on and the house was really hot, i have 2 t5ho and the regular going at the same time, and the hood thing it 2 glass lids??? or is it the heater????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

ok cool thankx so what im planning on doing its setting the timer so the bright lights go out at 4 pm and the regular stays on and im gonna leave the ac on

Really airtight lids will slow down evaporation and make it hold more heat, walmart heaters thermometer sensors are junk too and over heat a tank too, turn your heater down one notch and it will help during the summer months, point a fan at your tank and have lid off if have fish that don't jump if wanna some some power by not using ac, if it's really hot I'd still use ac though that works the best. What do you mean by regular light? An incandescent? A t5 shouldn't produce that much heat directed into tank if have lid, if don't have plants keep light off while it's light outside and just use window light, it makes for happier fish anyway, if do have plants heavily planted is a good idea to make shade for fish

Hopefully that helps a littlebit good luck, don't ever turn off heater btw unless it is malfunctioning higher end heaters will never be the reason for an over heated aquarium they won't turn on if tank is above water temp. If turned off soon as it cools outside will go through a drastic temp swing and going from over heated to cooler then normal isn't good for fish at all, a tank will gradually heat up and drastically cool down with outside conditions

What do you mean by regular light? An incandescent? A t5

well its a regular fluorescent and a glo light with 2 t5ho bulbs, and the reason i started on using that lamp its because of the plants, but i also had to put the glass lids due to jumpy fish but it gets too hot and i didnt know if it was due to the house gettin too hot so i left the ac on and a fan in the room and also i got the timer set so the t5ho's go off alot earlier and well its better so far but what i am going to do its to get a digital thermometer and im going to try my luck

by the way the fish seem normal and my cichlids dont seem to mind my shark even tho im planning on gettin another 75 gal and im going to transfer him there as soon as i get it and im going to make it a planted comunity!!!

dollabill420 said:
Really airtight lids will slow down evaporation and make it hold more heat, walmart heaters thermometer sensors are junk too and over heat a tank too, turn your heater down one notch and it will help during the summer months, point a fan at your tank and have lid off if have fish that don't jump if wanna some some power by not using ac, if it's really hot I'd still use ac though that works the best. What do you mean by regular light? An incandescent? A t5 shouldn't produce that much heat directed into tank if have lid, if don't have plants keep light off while it's light outside and just use window light, it makes for happier fish anyway, if do have plants heavily planted is a good idea to make shade for fish

Hopefully that helps a littlebit good luck, don't ever turn off heater btw unless it is malfunctioning higher end heaters will never be the reason for an over heated aquarium they won't turn on if tank is above water temp. If turned off soon as it cools outside will go through a drastic temp swing and going from over heated to cooler then normal isn't good for fish at all, a tank will gradually heat up and drastically cool down with outside conditions

Completely untrue I never ever had a problem with my wal mart heaters I have them in 6 of my tanks and they stay at a constant 80 never changes and some are 6-7 years old I have 1 marina that I had to replace cause even when the thermostat was all the way down my temp was almost 85 and now has a wal mart heater also wal mart had good pumps too and cheap tanks I just get fish, food, chemicals, and meds from lfs

Make sure you get a good name brand digital thermometer and they are great but I still like my floaters stickers are junk and in the summer I use a small gauge wire fence product on my planted tank to let the heat out and the fish in and my lights won't melt it

i been wanting to get he wired ones but the only ones i could find for a 75 are the one piece ones and my thank has a divider at the top

I ment from a hardware store I think it's called chicken fence an you cut it to fit the top of your tank it's cheap and works well but I am sure you could use an exo-terra top it would do the sane thing

Yeh I have no experience in using em at 80f I think thats 27 or 28C I use em at 25C and they dont work half as good as my nice heaters, sometimes just get bad pick of the draw lol never had any luck with poormans gear and I despise it :p if your house is climate controlled by a good heating/cooling system they seem to work just the same as the good gear but for the extra $15 after spending hundreds on the total investment I find it a good bargain lol

cool thx i seemed to fix he issue by leavin the ac on automatic so it dont get too hot those few days i got home the house was like an oven

I ordered some digital therm from eBay from over seas, most are in C only but I got a few that were both, and have the floating ones too and both seem to read pretty close. I like them bc I can just glance up, with out having to get my eye cheaters out to read the floating therm. They were really cheap that way.

Back
Top Bottom