Water levels!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GreenTerrorNoob

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im going to be running a 55 gallon south american cichlid tank znd was wondering what i will need my water levels to be at?

And by levels to you mean pH etc... ? Different species will tolerate different ranges of pH, I'm new to the hobby but do a lot of research. Most important thing would be to maintain the pH, dips and rises will stress them. Also of course keep ammonia and nitrites as low as possible 0 being ideal. You can have some nitrates but again this all depends in what your keeping. Like a JD will get pretty big in that 55.

Research is your best tool and browse the forum and other more experienced members will chime in and help out.

Good luck.

Do you have a specific water parameter question?

in general:

You'll want Ammonia and Nitrite at 0ppm, which will happen naturally as the beneficial bacteria establishes itselff.

You'll want to keep the Nitrate below 20ppm, which is accomplished with PWC.

Ideally, you'll want soft water with a lower PH (6 - 7) for South American Cichlids. However, don't mess with your PH, unless you have a situation where it's coming out of the tap above 8. They will be fine anywhere in the 6 - 8 Ph range and its more risky trying to treat it.

Anything else?

That helps me . I was looking for like basic readings you would want in general. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom