Water Levels for chiclids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To me it sounds like it was the ammonia that was killing them ammonia. Sometimes they show red or bloody Gil's heavy breathing which is a dead give away of ammonia poisoning. Ammonia. Ammonia suffocates them to death

Ok ammonia and ph don't have anything to do with each other however they both kill fish fast. Ammonia can't be dealt with two different ways one is start doing 25% daily wc the other is adding a good Bactria starter. I would if I were you is start doing wc daily until the ammonia drops to safe levels. Second what kind of filter are you running

A lot of people don't know this but ammonia toxicity and pH are directly related to each other. The higher the ammonia level is, the more toxic it is to fish. The same goes with temperature.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/your-guide-to-ammonia-toxicity-159994.html

To me it sounds like it was the ammonia that was killing them ammonia. Sometimes they show red or bloody Gil's heavy breathing which is a dead give away of ammonia poisoning. Ammonia. Ammonia suffocates them to death

I personally doubt that it was ammonia that killed the fish. A .25 ppm reading is a miniscule amount and is perfectly safe for fish. It's also common to have a .25ppm on API test kits as an inaccurate reading. There are very likely more factors involved than just the ammonia here.

I don't about the article or who wrote it obviously something is killing his fish. Are you saying the solutions about buffers and wc are wrong because I find it ironic both of them are mentioned in said article. Other factors could have it be it more testing of his water should be done. Do you have some advice for his questions or are you just trying to show the article?

I don't about the article or who wrote it obviously something is killing his fish. Are you saying the solutions about buffers and wc are wrong because I find it ironic both of them are mentioned in said article. Other factors could have it be it more testing of his water should be done. Do you have some advice for his questions or are you just trying to show the article?

I am solely suggesting that ammonia is not the most likely culprit here and other issues are much more likely to be the cause. API test kits regularly give a .25ppm ammonia reading when in fact its closer to zero. Even if there was a .25ppm ammonia level it is still well within healthy parameters for fish.

To the op: what signs of sickness have your fish displayed?

White stringy poo, growths on skin, erratic behavior, gasping at surface, changes in color, or eating habits.

I have changed my water and keep,checking my readings and they are all liver the place. The nitrites and ammonia stay high. The numbers I give you are different because every time I check they change and I know I am doing the test accurately. Fish are sick and dying, I give up.

I am down to 3 now and they look really sick. I moved them to a tank that was PERFECT on readings last night, the sick we're turning dark like the others so I knew they were affected. I moved them to a tank with mollies. They are about the same size so I THINK they would be okay while I fixed their tank. Well I checked that tank again and now it's high on nitrites. The mollies are great the jacks are sicker, darker and one is gasping so he will die soon. I give up on them. I don't know what else to do.

Thanks for all your help!!!! When this is all over I would love your input on what to do with the tank. If I can't get the water right should I empty it, and start over WITH ALL NEW WATER and filters?

I changed the filters also in the middle of this mess did that make my problem worse?

Yes I would if you can't fix the water just start over recycle the tank. Yes I did ask if you messed with the filter that needs to stay dirty it's were your good bacteria lives. Now is it behind the back or canister filter. Just remember if you throw all the water out your starting almost like a new tank. But before anything try to find out what happened did the chart if common fish disease help?

No their symptoms wasnt on there.

I just had a guy tell me they turn black from ammonia poisoning. I agree with him i think that was the problem. He also said once it was too far gone it wasnt much that could be done about it.

Thank you all fir your help. I am going to let the 55 gal they were in do a fishless cycle. Once the water is right i will start over. The remaining jacks are in a different tank. I will just watch and see how they do. I will let you know. Thanks again so much!

Back
Top Bottom