Water polisher?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all I recently stocked 72 gallon and water isn't cloudy it's just not crystal clear. I have 2 HOB filters. Aquaclear 70 and penguin 350. Just using inserts that they came with. I have heard about these water polishers... Would adding one be beneficial to clear wAter? If so what do I buy and where do I put it? I'm doing water changes at least once a week albeit small ones about 15 gallons

You could try doing weekly 50% water changes; but if a water polisher is still desired you could try using carbon in a media bag.

Thanks! I opted for a bag of ammo remover instead of carbon. But the penguin has cartridges w carbon so ill keep changing wate. Thanks

Thanks! I opted for a bag of ammo remover instead of carbon. But the penguin has cartridges w carbon so ill keep changing wate. Thanks

In the AC you could remove the carbon bag and use a product called Purigen by Seachem. Removes impurities and other substances that can discolor the water. I believe it does not remove ferts (in case you have plants). I have not used it but hear nothing but good things about this product on this forum.
Benefits? The tank may be nicer to look at especially if the water is hazy or discolored. As for benefits to the fish, Purigen will remove harmful impurities. IMO I don't think the fish care if the water is crystal clear or if there are tannins present.

Try adding filter floss/poly fill to the filter before the sponge to help catch some of the smaller particles in the water colum.

I had the same problem and I added the fluval polishing pads that are made for canisters in place of the charcoal in my AC 70, and it made a world of difference

Try adding filter floss/poly fill to the filter before the sponge to help catch some of the smaller particles in the water colum.

^^^^this pretty much is the answer IMO. I do this in both my AC110's, stuff works wonders. You'd be surprised what that stuff catches.

I've also used purigen

^^^^this pretty much is the answer IMO. I do this in both my AC110's, stuff works wonders. You'd be surprised what that stuff catches.

I've also used purigen

So I just put some in the basket and the sponge on top? That seems cheaper than purigen so the better place to start! Any idea how I could use some in the bio wheel 350? It has an extra slot for a second vertical slide in cartridges and then some.

I put some purigen in my emporer 400, and i dont notice any difference. Poly floss always worked for me.

I put some purigen in my emporer 400, and i dont notice any difference. Poly floss always worked for me.

I put some on my AC50 and too didn't notice the "night and day difference" I've seen a few people say with it. It's been in there for 2 weeks and the tank has been setup for a month, but nothing so far.

Just remember that filter floss gets cloged pretty quickly and will need changed often.

Could anyone tell me how I can use the filter floss in the penguin 350 filter. It has plent I room for 2 cartridges on each side. I have just a stock one on each and want to try the floss in there. Also any suggestions which type?

I had some API zorb pouches I tosse in the back of the penguin this afternoon to see if they help in the meantime. Still hazy but gonna give it a day.

Could anyone tell me how I can use the filter floss in the penguin 350 filter. It has plent I room for 2 cartridges on each side. I have just a stock one on each and want to try the floss in there. Also any suggestions which type?

I had some API zorb pouches I tosse in the back of the penguin this afternoon to see if they help in the meantime. Still hazy but gonna give it a day.

That's a good question. I have a penguin and an emperor and interested in others input as well. For loose floss, I can't think of an easy way to remove it without making a big mess.

If it was the rolls of "cut your own size" padding sheets then perhaps it can go in front of the second cartridge (in place of the first cartridge).

Curious to why you're using ammo remover..

No reason really. Figured I had enough carbon in the other filters and it couldn't hurt. Nitrates nitrites and ammonia are all at bottom of charts in test kit. Nitrates is between the bottom 2 readings. Sorry no #s on chart so I don't know the #. Open to suggestions as to what to put in!

Gave the 350 bio wheel w 2 stock cartridges and 2 bio chem zorb pouches and in the AC70 the sponge. The ammorid and the bio max rings

No reason really. Figured I had enough carbon in the other filters and it couldn't hurt. Nitrates nitrites and ammonia are all at bottom of charts in test kit. Nitrates is between the bottom 2 readings. Sorry no #s on chart so I don't know the #. Open to suggestions as to what to put in!

Gave the 350 bio wheel w 2 stock cartridges and 2 bio chem zorb pouches and in the AC70 the sponge. The ammorid and the bio max rings[/QU
Is your tank cycled? If yes then there's no need for any media designed to remove ammo...I could see adding the extra filter media&bio-rings but that's about it...were these products suggested to you by someone?

Sry my post is in the bottom section of your prior post...didn't intend for it to come out that way...

Sry my post is in the bottom section of your prior post...didn't intend for it to come out that way...

Oh no i thought nothing of it!!! I need all the advice I can get anyway and can't ask enough questions!! No worries! Seriously tell me what I can do better and I'm glad to hear it!

Personally i'd ditch the hob's and purchase a quality canister filter...gives you many more options on filter media&much more surface area..

Back
Top Bottom