Wave maker or air pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big John

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have noticed lately that a few people are using wave makers in their tanks I was just wondering if you can use one instead of having an air pump in the tank if so which do people prefer?

There is no need for an air pump, not sure about the wave maker but I have a power head in my tank just to keep the water circulated....

Wavemaker and air pump do 2 completely different things. Perhaps you are referring to something else when you use the term "air pump"?

Wavemaker is great for keeping the whole tank circulated and less issues with waste getting trapped in nooks and crannies, but it does not replace or lesson mechanical or biological filtration. I prefer the Jebo wp25.

Thanks for the replies. Terence I understand about the filtration I have a cannister filter on my tank but the air pump runs an air curtain in the tank what I was getting at is I have seen on here that some people have a wave maker in their tanks are they any benefit to the tank is have having something that produces bubbles such as an air curtain any benefit if so which has most benefit and should you have both or just one.

A wave maker such as Jebo produces waves, which agitate the surface of the water and aerates the whole tank. The air pump adds very little to the overall water flow and agitate the surface of the water, which also aerates water for the fish. Its ok to have both, but it adds extra electricity cost.

Thanks Terence you have told me basically what I wanted to hear, I'm wanting to get away from the air pump I don't like the bubbles in the tank so if I can take it out that's good news

Back
Top Bottom