What are Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovefish7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to fish keeping and wanted to know, what are chichlids and why are they so special?

They're a type a fish. Kind of like goldfish. And they tend to get along with mostly themselves so people make cichlid tanks

ilovefish7 said:
I am new to fish keeping and wanted to know, what are chichlids and why are they so special?

Go to you tube and search for jewel of the rift. Great documentary on cichlids, it's broken up into about 7 or 8 videos

ilovefish7 said:

#1 People love Cichlids because they will beg for food like a dog.
#2 They will come up to the front of the glass to show off when you walk up
# 3 they are colorful
# 4. They are very close to salt water fish

Sillyfishies said:
They're a type a fish. Kind of like goldfish. And they tend to get along with mostly themselves so people make cichlid tanks

I can't speak for SA Cichlids but rift lake Cichlids don't always get along with themselves .

Last edited:
I believe the poster was trying to say that cichlids are a group of fish, kinda like how goldfish are a group of fish, not that they are at all similar other than being fish haha

Freakgecko91 said:
I believe the poster was trying to say that cichlids are a group of fish, kinda like how goldfish are a group of fish, not that they are at all similar other than being fish haha

Hah thanks. That's exactly what I was trying to say :p!

Sillyfishies said:

This is actually a bad comparison because cichlids are scientifically classified at the Family level, while goldfish are defined at the genus level.

Any fish that is part of the Cichlidae family is considered a Cichlid. There are a number of unique characteristics that separate cichlids from other fish. The most visual is the split lateral line on the side of the fish. The previous book I read mentioned about 4 or 5 key characteristics.

They are also known for having high intelligence and more satisfying interactions than typical tropical fish.

Why not just look this information up? You'll get much more thorough results.

5x5 said:
This is actually a bad comparison because cichlids are scientifically classified at the Family level, while goldfish are defined at the genus level.

Any fish that is part of the Cichlidae family is considered a Cichlid. There are a number of unique characteristics that separate cichlids from other fish. The most visual is the split lateral line on the side of the fish. The previous book I read mentioned about 4 or 5 key characteristics.

They are also known for having high intelligence and more satisfying interactions than typical tropical fish.

Why not just look this information up? You'll get much more thorough results.

Again I was saying they were a type of fish. Goldfish are a category of fish as are cichlids. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Back
Top Bottom