What are your favorite cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sati

Aquarium Advice Addict
The only cichlid I have ever owned is a keyhole that I got for free a couple of weeks ago. He's a very shy and sweet fish. I know I want to have a large discus tank someday. But I want to have a separate cichlid tank as well. I'm wondering what people's favorites are. Which are the most beautiful? Are there any other peaceful ones? Anything... :]

Angelfish!

*grin* Yeah ok, I'm a lil obsessed with em. But they ARE cichlids, and more peaceful then many of the SA and African cichlids (although again, they ARE cichlids and have their moments *grin*).

To be honest, Alliv, I think you got me hooked on angels. I never thought there were so beautiful, or wonderful. I never wanted to have any. I've come around on them and I would love to have a mated pair like you have. Don't tell anybody though...

I like all cichlids :)

as far as favorite id have to say between discus and kribensis

i like most cichlids, my favorites are oscars, severums, jaguars and dovi, iv always wanted an n.benni but could bever find one, wild or captive

my yellow labs and blue kenyis!!! (or zebras, or whatever they're calling them at petsmart :lol: ) One step below saltwater and never a dull moment.

I'm not a fan of large predatory cichlids like Oscars. Most of the time I think they're oogly compared to other cichlids. Dempsy's are prettier, but still mean little buggers.

I see the yellow labs and blue kenyis here, but what are the other fish?
fw1b.jpg

fw1b_1024x_resize.jpg

Looks like a few zebra varieties and maybe some peacocks. Awesome tank though. Most cichlids are predatorial :p Especially SAs. N. Venustus is a 10in malawi predator :)

Jewel cichlids for sure. I had a pair that gave birth to 5 batches of fry, without me doing anything special at all.

Well, Rams are cichlids so my FAVE would be my Bolivian Rams (of course!)...

But as far as a more mainstream cichlid goes, we just added two N. Brichardis to our fishy family and they're absolutely gorgeous! (Pictures will follow...)

I've always liked Severum. As for peaceful, besides Angelfish and Discus, Festivum and Uarus are very peaceful.

All cichlids. But there are a few that stick out.

South American
Geophagus brasiliensis

Centrl American
Copora nicaraguenese

African Rift Lake
Cynotilapia afra
Frontosa

West/CentralAfrica & Madagascar
Pelvichromis humilis
Pelvachromis taeniatus
Nanochomis parilus
Paretroplus maculatus

I am very partial to shelldwelling Africans and N. Brichardi. I also love angels and discus, in terms of looks.

Personally I've always like Pike Cichlids....big, nasty, beautiful. I also like the African 'dwarfs' like Nannochromis nudiceps and Pelviachromis of almost any species (like P. pulcher - 'kribis'). Toss in the venerable old Orange Chromide from Asia as well. Cool fish, if you can find them for sale!

Those of you who have Bolivian Rams, how do they look? I've seen many pictures, but most look sort of dull in color. If they look like this then I'd love them!

http://www.cichlidae.com/articles/a050/a031-01.jpg

I love that Copora nicaraguense. The Fontanas and Pelvachromis taeniatus sound amazing. I've never seen Orange Chromide. I wonder if I could find them :]

I can't see your picture (?) but check my gallery. There is a close-up of one of my males there. He is actually brighter than the picture shows, but you can see that he's pretty colorful (not at all dull).

I find that the better the environment the better colors bolivians will have. They are a bit duller, but the rosy color comes out more when they're happy and healthy (ie. good water, plenty of room and plants to hide in)

as for my favorite: rams for sure. gold or blue rams for appearance, bolivian for ease in keeping. If I ever get a big tank, i'd love a jack dempsey. they look pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom