What are your favorite cichlids and current stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doug4701

Aquarium Advice Regular
Which are your faves? Please post pictures of your favorite type of cichlid and it's nickname or scientific...

Also what is your current stock?

I like haps and odd ball fish as for current stock I have a tawain reef, benga sunshine, apache cichlid, flameback, chromidatilapia kingsleye, burnundi frontosa, and various others in that tank. I have 3 and my memory is going short the more fish I buy

Me to mine was a freebie someone who didn't want him Bc he wouldn't color up all I need to complete my tank is some red in the tank

Firemouths. I love many cichlids but Firemouths are my favorite. I came very close to selling mine cause they breed like crazy but I can't part with them. Never had a fish I couldn't part with before.

77120-albums13813-picture65591.jpg

77120-albums13813-picture65593.jpg

77120-albums13813-picture65595.jpg

77120-albums13813-picture65597.jpg

Current Stock is

Tank 1
Peacock Tank
5x peacocks

Tank 2
1 x Firemouths Female
1 x Juvenile Jag
1 x JD
1 x Wild Oscar

This tank is being changed to

1x Red dot severum
1x GT
6-8 x Fire Mouth 2 parents and 6 fry.

Tank 3
Red Dot Severum (going into main tank)
23 x Firemouth Fry (being sold)
1 x Firemouth Male (going into main tank again)

this tank is going to be ready for more babies again.

Tank 4
Gold fish tank (my daughters tank)
1 Black Moore
1 Fan tail

Firemouths. I love many cichlids but Firemouths are my favorite. I came very close to selling mine cause they breed like crazy but I can't part with them. Never had a fish I couldn't part with before.

77120-albums13813-picture65591.jpg

77120-albums13813-picture65593.jpg

77120-albums13813-picture65595.jpg

77120-albums13813-picture65597.jpg

Hi rivers.

A quick question regarding fire mouths. I have 4 in a 47 gallon the biggest is about 3 inches. I'm hoping to pair 2 off then return the others although I will be sad!

3 of them look the same but one looks different. Hardly and red or black strips but the same firemouth shape if you like. It's very dull. Could this be the female? The guys at the LFS told me to buy 6 and return when they pair up because they were too difficult to sex but my tank couldn't support 6 so I got 4.

It is very hard to tell until they hit the 3" mark which yours are at so it may just
take a little longer to tell. Color isn't a good indicator. Body shape and streamers are a better indicator. Males are longer shaped females are deeper bodied (rounder rather than longer if you will). Males have longer steamers on the fins females don't. Males do seem to have darker black outlines on the fins but that is not always true but mostly true. If you want to start another thread and post pics I will be happy to see if I can sex them. Get good profile pics.

What your lfs suggested is the best way to get a pair. You may just need time to get a pair.

It is very hard to tell until they hit the 3" mark which yours are at so it may just
take a little longer to tell. Color isn't a good indicator. Body shape and streamers are a better indicator. Males are longer shaped females are deeper bodied (rounder rather than longer if you will). Males have longer steamers on the fins females don't. Males do seem to have darker black outlines on the fins but that is not always true but mostly true. If you want to start another thread and post pics I will be happy to see if I can sex them. Get good profile pics.

What your lfs suggested is the best way to get a pair. You may just need time to get a pair.

Thanks rivers. It is definitely 'deeper bodied' than the others I'll try to get pics but they are still in the timid stage so it may prove difficult.

Back
Top Bottom