Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

What are your favorite cichlids and current stock?

Which are your faves? Please post pictures of your favorite type of cichlid and it's nickname or scientific...

Also what is your current stock?

Old 02-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I like haps and odd ball fish as for current stock I have a tawain reef, benga sunshine, apache cichlid, flameback, chromidatilapia kingsleye, burnundi frontosa, and various others in that tank. I have 3 and my memory is going short the more fish I buy

Old 02-26-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I like the Taiwan reef
Old 02-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Me to mine was a freebie someone who didn't want him Bc he wouldn't color up all I need to complete my tank is some red in the tank
Old 02-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Firemouths. I love many cichlids but Firemouths are my favorite. I came very close to selling mine cause they breed like crazy but I can't part with them. Never had a fish I couldn't part with before.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Current Stock is

Tank 1
Peacock Tank
5x peacocks

Tank 2
1 x Firemouths Female
1 x Juvenile Jag
1 x JD
1 x Wild Oscar

This tank is being changed to

1x Red dot severum
1x GT
6-8 x Fire Mouth 2 parents and 6 fry.

Tank 3
Red Dot Severum (going into main tank)
23 x Firemouth Fry (being sold)
1 x Firemouth Male (going into main tank again)

this tank is going to be ready for more babies again.

Tank 4
Gold fish tank (my daughters tank)
1 Black Moore
1 Fan tail
Old 02-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post
Firemouths. I love many cichlids but Firemouths are my favorite. I came very close to selling mine cause they breed like crazy but I can't part with them. Never had a fish I couldn't part with before.

Hi rivers.

A quick question regarding fire mouths. I have 4 in a 47 gallon the biggest is about 3 inches. I'm hoping to pair 2 off then return the others although I will be sad!

3 of them look the same but one looks different. Hardly and red or black strips but the same firemouth shape if you like. It's very dull. Could this be the female? The guys at the LFS told me to buy 6 and return when they pair up because they were too difficult to sex but my tank couldn't support 6 so I got 4.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are your favorite cichlids and current stock?

It is very hard to tell until they hit the 3" mark which yours are at so it may just
take a little longer to tell. Color isn't a good indicator. Body shape and streamers are a better indicator. Males are longer shaped females are deeper bodied (rounder rather than longer if you will). Males have longer steamers on the fins females don't. Males do seem to have darker black outlines on the fins but that is not always true but mostly true. If you want to start another thread and post pics I will be happy to see if I can sex them. Get good profile pics.

What your lfs suggested is the best way to get a pair. You may just need time to get a pair.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post
It is very hard to tell until they hit the 3" mark which yours are at so it may just
take a little longer to tell. Color isn't a good indicator. Body shape and streamers are a better indicator. Males are longer shaped females are deeper bodied (rounder rather than longer if you will). Males have longer steamers on the fins females don't. Males do seem to have darker black outlines on the fins but that is not always true but mostly true. If you want to start another thread and post pics I will be happy to see if I can sex them. Get good profile pics.

What your lfs suggested is the best way to get a pair. You may just need time to get a pair.

Thanks rivers. It is definitely 'deeper bodied' than the others I'll try to get pics but they are still in the timid stage so it may prove difficult.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Done! Sorry for hijacking

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, current, ich, stock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com