What do you do....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KryptiCouple

Aquarium Advice Freak
When you guys rearrange your tanks, what do you do with your fish? We have a 5gal aquarium and I was wondering if it will be OK to put our 20ish 3-4" Mbuna in it while we clean and rearrange their tank?

KryptiCouple said:
When you guys rearrange your tanks, what do you do with your fish? We have a 5gal aquarium and I was wondering if it will be OK to put our 20ish 3-4" Mbuna in it while we clean and rearrange their tank?

I think for the small amount of time that they will be in there, it'd be fine. When I rearranged, I put the fish from my 20 gallon into a 1 gallon. Some people may disagree, but I think for the short amount of time, it should be just fine ;)

my fish stay in their tank as I redecorate. When I am done, they redecorate to their liking.

my fish stay in their tank as I redecorate. When I am done, they redecorate to their liking.

We are completely re-stacking our rocks. We'd like to put them more along the back of the tank, rather than in the middle like they currently are. We have about 20 +/- fish in there. I don't think doing it with them in the tank is a safe option, especially since some are still pretty small.

Buy a large rubbermaid tub. I would expect a blood bath with all those malawis of that size in a 5G.

All those malawis won't FIT in there, let alone not kill each other. 5s are small.

KryptiCouple said:
We are completely re-stacking our rocks. We'd like to put them more along the back of the tank, rather than in the middle like they currently are. We have about 20 +/- fish in there. I don't think doing it with them in the tank is a safe option, especially since some are still pretty small.

I leave mine in the tank.
I take out enough rocks ( the ones I want on top) that I can move others around pretty easy. The fish just go to a front corner of the glass till I'm done. No harm done by doing it this way imo, they just watch me. Most of the time I think they are thinking of witch one they are going to move when I'm done while watching ;). If you move them you have to catch them, match water temps and hope they don't fight witch to me is unneeded stress.

HN1 said:
Buy a large rubbermaid tub. I would expect a blood bath with all those malawis of that size in a 5G.

+1 there really isn't a need to remove them... It's alot more work than u think trying to net 20 fish n e ways... When I rearrange my scape I leave them in. I have 30+ in mine, they will move outta the way.

Attachments

• image-296748643.jpg
    image-296748643.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 102
Alrighty! Ticked off 2 dozen fish today! Here is the result

Before
66238-albums10208-picture42372.jpg

After
66238-albums10208-picture45352.jpg

During:
66238-albums10208-picture45351.jpg

66238-albums10208-picture45346.jpg