What do you guys think of Discus'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarlett778

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I was wondering what your opinions are about having discus'. Currently, I have a well planted 56 gallon column tank and would like to encorporate larger fish. I guess I'm just a little worried because many of the sites state discus do well in planted tanks but it doesn't seem to like nitrates and I dose the tank phosphates, nitrates, potassium, and trace. The plants do devour all those nutrients well but just in case before I purchase an expensive fish......will my tank be suitable?

well your tank will be but they are alot of work.
water changes a few times a week. i do mine every other day.
they need a varied diet of many different kinds of food.
Im sure u could get by with the minimum but they like soft water with low ph. they like warmer waters , they can have few tank mates. and in a 56g tank you could only have 5 discus and not much more.
You have to feed them well when they are babies.
Im sure you would be fine.. but i think they like to be in groups of 5 at least else there could be problems.
Hmm. But i love my discus and im sure you will be fine. any more info ask.
you could get by with one water change a week, but apparently they dont grow as well and breeding is harder. there is lots to consider.
But im no discouraging you. im encouraging you. But there is many factors to discus care.
goodluck

Sounds like the major concert is tank maintenance, which is feasible. I already do water changes twice per week and the temperature is at 82 degrees, so it shouldn't be a problem. I think I might try it out. From what I've read so far, the seem to be great pets. Thanks for your help!

I've had discus for several months now. I do 2 50% water changes a week. My discus are fed veggies, dried tubifex worms and NLS for discus. I leave my ph alone and won't worry about it until the discus are ready to breed and maybe not even then. I keep my ph constant rather than trying to change it. Discus should have 10 gals each. As juvies they need to be kept in groups.

Beautiful. Often referred to as the kings of the aquarium. They need clean clean clean clean water. You can't possibly do too many water changes with discus and be careful of tankmates that would try to suck on them. Discus also makes me think "expensive." :p

IMO discus are the most beautiful FW fish that rival even some of the best-looking saltwater fish. However, I would never be able to devote enough time to them if I were to get some and besides their expensive like Talloulou said. :)

toddnbecka said:
Too much trouble for me. I don't have, or want to buy, a R/O rig to make my tap water suitable for discus.

Sutable for spawning discus I would assume.

They will thrive in nearly any FW conditions provided they are kept VERY CLEAN :p

BrianNY has alot of very usefull info on the subject of discus keeping :p

Do they do so well in planted tanks cause the plants help keep the water params in check? (I know my 10 gallon planted rarely ever has readable ammonia, nitrates, or nitrites levels) Or is it just the way they like? The reason I ask, is that a 10 gallon planted is enough work for me, I dont care to do real plants with my 75 or any other larger tank. But my 75 is filled with fake plants and real driftwood

yah its like zags said to. once a week is fine. it all depends.
just check the water where u are getting them and urs to see the difference.
my ph was the same when i got them so they are fine.
BUT THEY ARE THE MOST AMAZING FISH.
so if u can handle it go for it.
discus are easy to tell when they dont like something they get dark.
anything else u would like to know.

Nitrate levels are needed by the plants for nitrogen food sorce.
Planted tanks are more then fine for Discus however, the levels needed for plants (that and the fact that the plants are consuming it) keep the water nutrents in check.

I agree, my discus tank is planted and I have a hard time getting the nitrates above 5ppm, and I do 2 water changes a week of 50% each.

IMO anyone that has a successful planted tank can handle the discus regimen. Your pwc needs are directly related to the fish bioload and, the plants do gobble nitrates. Nitrates however, are not the reason discus need water changes. Discus are huge waste producers. They shed their slime coat and that increases the level of DOCs which can be trouble in tanks kept at the temps discus require.

A single pair of adult discus in a 56g planted tank makes for an awesome show tank. Combine that with a small school of tetras (such as rummy nose), a few cory cats, and maybe some kuhli loaches and the tank is complete. A tank like this could get by on 1 to 2 pwcs weekly. It's equally important to keep the filters clean.

82F is the low end of temperature. You would have fewer issues at 84F. As long as your water is not liquid rock don't mess with it. Discus are very adaptable to most CLEAN conditions. I encourage you to take on the discus challenge. Very rewarding.

I agree with BrianNY

I dont use RO water, just prime and stress Zyme with PWC's @ 20% week. Temp @ 28 C

Attachments

• imgp0106_592.jpg
    imgp0106_592.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 26
What would you use to define "liquid rock"? My hardness is about 267 ppm on average. Would this be too hard? I've been planning on investing in an RO unit, but just curious if this gH is too hard for discus. No intention to spawn, maybe just keep someday. My pH sits right at 7.2.

Sorry for the confusion. :lol: I suppose liquid rock is one of my more subjective terms. I would say that if your water requires filtering to drink, it fits the category. It's water that has a very high mineral content.

Back
Top Bottom