What else should I put in this 55g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhillipC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a 55g up and running. Heated and filtered with a aquaclear 70 + eheim 2217. So far I have

2 Yellow labs
2 Red Zebras
3 Acei
1 Rusty
3 Boesmani Rainbows

All the fish are 3 inches and under right now. Aggression is pretty minimal right now since I removed some male zebras and a kenyi. What else could I put in here or am I stocked already?
Thanks

You could definitely add fish. I would up the acei group to 5, I would up the yellow labs to 4-5. The red zebras will likely become aggressive. A third may help, especially if you end up with 1 male and 2 females . A few more rustys may help as well. As far as species go I feel you have enough, but you could raise your counts of each.

I don't see the need for rainbows, imo African cichlids should mostly be species only. Definitely no need for dithers

I had 4 red zebras at first. One became an absolute devil and eventually killed the other red zebra and a few other fish. But adding more acei, rusties and yellows sounds good. Also I have boesmani just because they look cool imo ?

Yep, that is exactly my experience with red zebras. If you were willing to get rid of the red zebra you could try a different species of zebra like a red top zebra or cobalt blue zebra, I've read they are a little more chill than the metriaclima estherae. I have a red top zebra and he is definitely less aggressive than my red zebra was.

Your other cichlids are on the more peaceful side for mbuna so I wouldn't add any demasoni or other crazy mbuna. Some kenyis may work but they are on the aggressive side. Also keep an eye on those rainbows, they are fast and all but I'm always cautious about anything that isn't a cichlid in an African tank.

Keep us posted on what you do, sounds like your on the right track. Also if you don't already have one start a progress thread in cichlid discussion and post up some pics!

Back
Top Bottom