what fish to breed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BHead707

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ive been tossing around the idea of breeding a fish (preferably a cichlid). Anyway im thinking i will have a 30 gallon tank and just looking to have the one pair in there.
I want the fish to be somewhat easy to breed but not super easy. Also it would be a bonus if i could get a little $$ for the fry cause i know a lfs that would buy them from me or i wouldnt mind shipping them etc. So let me know of your ideas,

thanks
-Brandon

I'd try some sort of apistos, maybe triple reds.

ya thought of those as well, how easy are those to get ahold of though?

i know for sure no lfs around here have them in stock i could try to special order havent tried that route yet

Well that's part of the idea, pick something that is not commonly available and people will be more interested in buying it. LFS should be able to order them in, though, or at least have something similar.

jetajockey said:
I'd try some sort of apistos, maybe triple reds.

Yea, definitely.

I know Severum Mama and HN1 were selling apisto pairs, look into that

Ok ill check into that got any other ideas of the top of your head? cause id like to have a couple ideas when i go in to see what they are able to order

other thoughts were brichardi(fairy cichlid), rams, jewels, (racking my brain trying to think of the others)

see anything wrong with those ideas?

Brichardi are common fish, essentially the African equivalaent of convicts. Breed too much and too often for a 30, and nobody wants or needs hundreds of them.
Jewels have a limited market, they're beautiful fish but holy terrors when they pair off and spawn.

I agree with Todd. Rams are an idea, but can be very difficult to rear, and are overall touchy fish. I think you are in the right direction though, a small cichlid with parenting skills is a good idea. Another idea would be shelldwellers.

Thank you both.I've never really looked into shell dwellers before but heard they are awesome to watch in a group of them.. got any specific ideas in that group? Or is it whatever I can find that's for sale

I'd go with multies. They are the cheapest and easiest to find, although you may still have to order them in. I've heard of people mixing species in larger tanks, but I've never tried it, and I have heard that brevis are more aggressive of the two.

looks like im leaning towards apistogramma cactoides and they are harem breeders correct? so should i shoot for like 1 male and 2 females?

How long have you kept cichlids for?

havent been in the hobby for a very long time, but im a very fast learner and im a sponge for information.

ive kept my rams for about 2 months and just got some really small jd's

ive always wanted a larger african tank but have no room for it

Perhaps before you start breeding you should wait a while. It gets to be a bit overwhelming if you're not familiar

I've been thinking of doing apistos also. I have an extra 30 that's dosnet get used and no stores in my area carrry them. I could probably get a good buck for them. Keep us up to date on how it goes.

BHead707 said:
Thanks for the warning but, im only gonna do 1 pair. its not like im trying to run a lfs in my apt.

Are you prepared to have multiple tanks set up and have the proper food for fry. What are your plans with the fry while they are growing out and then more are born. You have a 30 gallon which is too small for a pair.

I'm not trying to sound rude, i just think you should be prepared for what you want to get yourself involved in.

Back
Top Bottom