What if....? Converting tank to African Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumma.of.two

Aquarium Advice Obsessed
I've been thinking the last few days about changing my 70g/270L planted community to an African cichlid tank. Its a tall and wide tank - 100cm long, 60cm high, 45cm wide if i remember correctly. It has an proaqua (aquatop) canister rated 1500L/h and I will have a spare 1000L/h canister soon that i could use also. Currently it's home to 3 bristlenose plecs and a red tail shark that I could not bear to part with (as well as other various community fish that would be rehomed). If I where to keep them would they be safe in a tank full of cichlids? I have read it will be fine but looking for some personal experiences.
I'm just starting my research now but am wanting suggestions on what types to look at. There are so many!
I'm exploring all my options at the moment so any thoughts or suggestions as to what I should be looking at would be greatly appreciated.

The pleco's should be fine but the red tailed shark I tried to introduced was instantly harassed.The last I saw of him was when he disappeared into the plants.That was 2 months ago.I have since done several full tank cleans removing all the decor in my tank.I have not seen him since :(

garfy said:
The pleco's should be fine but the red tailed shark I tried to introduced was instantly harassed.The last I saw of him was when he disappeared into the plants.That was 2 months ago.I have since done several full tank cleans removing all the decor in my tank.I have not seen him since :(

:( I'm sorry. What if he was there first and I introduced younger fish? He's only young himself (in shark years) but is a good 4 inches and quite thick.
I've also found this on lake Malawi cichlids
http://www.malawimayhem.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2659
Good starting point?

It seems to be a guessing game with cichlids mixed with other types of fish, from my experience cichlids show most aggression towards other cichlids and ignore other fish , but im sure there are alot of bad experiences, I started a thread about it a few days ago just to see what others experienced mixing cichlids with non cichlids and it seemed like most turned out to be a positive experience. I hope this helps :)

Also having fish in there first will really help , most of the problems come when you add a new fish in a established cichlid tank.

Thanks darkmatter. I'll have a search for it. :)
If I was to go through with it the RST and plecs would be in the tank a good week before other fish where introduced.

Thanks Jess! Hopefully convict will have some input. He's had quite a few different fish in with his.

:( I'm sorry. What if he was there first and I introduced younger fish? He's only young himself (in shark years) but is a good 4 inches and quite thick.
I've also found this on lake Malawi cichlids
Malawi Cichlids, Malawi Species Profiles, African Cichlids, Lake Malawi, Malawi Forum, Tanks, Articles, Books, Videos
Good starting point?
I think it may work. Some small Harps & Peacocks not Vic's maybe a yellow lab or 2. Being black and frist in is a advantange he won't look like the rest.

chagoi said:
I think it may work. Some small Harps & Peacocks not Vic's maybe a yellow lab or 2. Being black and frist in is a advantange he won't look like the rest.

Thanks :) my husband likes the look of the yellow labs and peacocks. I'm wanting less aggressive so stay away from mbunas right?

I have an aggressive Ruby Red Peacock :/ I hear they aren't all supposed to be aggressive but he sure is...

I have the mild groups of haps peacocks and mbunas and they are fine with pictus cats and I also have a turtle with tthem. The only two that every once and a while get into it is my male yellow lab and my clown lab but nothing that I have to put a stop to. Everything I have read says that cichlids are more aggressive towards their own kind. I would trust mine with a non cichlid.

Andrew McFadden said:
I have the mild groups of haps peacocks and mbunas and they are fine with pictus cats and I also have a turtle with tthem. The only two that every once and a while get into it is my male yellow lab and my clown lab but nothing that I have to put a stop to. Everything I have read says that cichlids are more aggressive towards their own kind. I would trust mine with a non cichlid.

They are usually conspecific but my Compressiceps will challenge fish with the same markings, basically any silver fish like himself.

I'm not sure without looking it up bit they are from the highly aggressive

Actually they are not I just looked them up. I think it all depends on the type of cichlids she gets and that's what all of us are for to share what all ours are like. So I would not go with that one and I would stay away from bees.

Andrew McFadden said:
I'm not sure without looking it up bit they are from the highly aggressive

They absolutely are a predator, especially to fry and holding females, but are only mildly aggressive, much like your yellow labs and such.

I did have an ob peacock who was so very nice and sweet! Not to mention beautiful! I just had to rehome my Red Empress's because they were very docile also. Would make a great centerpiece :)

AndrewsPistol said:
They absolutely are a predator, especially to fry and holding females, but are only mildly aggressive, much like your yellow labs and such.

I know I looked it up. What I would do if I was mumma is pick out what you want and post that to get everyones opinion on those. So as of now I would not pick compressiceps and also bees. Imo

Back
Top Bottom