What is my male Pink Convict Doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lauriecan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I'm new to this, so please forgive me if this post is not in the right place. I have a Pink Convict male with two females in my tank and he keeps swimming into one particular area, placing his mouth in the sand, and freezing. It's almost comical, but I wonder if somethings wrong. One of the females is staying pretty close to him, so I wonder if he's spawning. It's just kind of weird. He freezes for ten-twenty seconds and then he starts swimming again. I have a video of this and I'll post it shortly. Just wondering if this is normal or if I have a Pink Convict that will soon be petrified. :)

Hello all,

I'm new to this, so please forgive me if this post is not in the right place. I have a Pink Convict male with two females in my tank and he keeps swimming into one particular area, placing his mouth in the sand, and freezing. It's almost comical, but I wonder if somethings wrong. One of the females is staying pretty close to him, so I wonder if he's spawning. It's just kind of weird. He freezes for ten-twenty seconds and then he starts swimming again. I have a video of this and I'll post it shortly. Just wondering if this is normal or if I have a Pink Convict that will soon be petrified. :)

Hey Lauriecan, and welcome to AA.

I think I can help, I still have convicts that are at least 3 or 4 years old. From the sounds of it it's making a small sand pit next to an area that they will probably breed by. The fry will be easier to control if they can pit them in a pit. They'll just suck them up in their mouths and spit them out into the pile. They are wonderful at taking care of young, and will attack anything that comes close to their babies. But from the sounds of it he is picking up the sand in his mouth and moving it.

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply! I thought it might be something like that. I just got him Monday and he was hiding all day Monday and Tuesday. He's finally out and busy. I also have two Peacocks spawning, but it's pretty obvious what they're doing. I have a quick question. If I want to post a video, do I have to do it through youtube? I'm looking for this information on the site now and I can't seem to find it. Thanks again for the help!

Laurie

Hey Lauriecan, and welcome to AA.

I think I can help, I still have convicts that are at least 3 or 4 years old. From the sounds of it it's making a small sand pit next to an area that they will probably breed by. The fry will be easier to control if they can pit them in a pit. They'll just suck them up in their mouths and spit them out into the pile. They are wonderful at taking care of young, and will attack anything that comes close to their babies. But from the sounds of it he is picking up the sand in his mouth and moving it.

Thanks for the quick reply! I thought it might be something like that. I just got him Monday and he was hiding all day Monday and Tuesday. He's finally out and busy. I also have two Peacocks spawning, but it's pretty obvious what they're doing. I have a quick question. If I want to post a video, do I have to do it through youtube? I'm looking for this information on the site now and I can't seem to find it. Thanks again for the help!

Laurie

I'd be careful having other fishing in the same tank as spawning convicts. They have been known to kill oscars and other fish twice their size during spawning. So just keep a close eye on them.

Also, I suggest just uploading the video through Photobucket. It's very easy and user friendly, and works great with the forum.

Ben

I will definitely watch them. Should I be okay with a 125G? I have lots of rocks and hiding places for the fish that might need to run! LOL

I'd be careful having other fishing in the same tank as spawning convicts. They have been known to kill oscars and other fish twice their size during spawning. So just keep a close eye on them.

Also, I suggest just uploading the video through Photobucket. It's very easy and user friendly, and works great with the forum.

Ben

I will definitely watch them. Should I be okay with a 125G? I have lots of rocks and hiding places for the fish that might need to run! LOL

Oh dang, at your plenty fine in a 125G, didn't know how big you were running ha ha. Still keep an eye on them, but you shouldn't have a worries. Just watch especially during spawning, and make sure they are fed enough.

Hope that helped,
Ben

It did and great signature, btw! Once I load this video onto photobucket, I'll post it up here. Thanks again for all of your help!

Back
Top Bottom