what is the best cichlid food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Ben

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have the crappy hikari cichlid staple mini pellet. It doesn't do that much for the colors of my fish. I also feed some crappy tropical flakes that I got cheap. I'm looking for a really good food that's good nutritionally for them but also that will show their colors really good. I'm not worried about cost so much, as long as it's reasonable. I'd prefer pellets as they aren't as messy. I'll probably buy a big package to save money in the long run anyway. I need food that's good for severums, green terrors and jack dempseys. :) thanks

I feed the hikari medium pellets to my cichlids. Sometimes I also give them frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms, or zuchhini. I try flake once in a while, but they make a big mess with flake.

I started using NLS (New Life Spectrum) about 6 months ago to see if it was any better than Hikari pellets. According to the guaranteed analysis, the only difference between the two is that NLS has less crude fat (1% less) and a little less fat (also 1%).

I use a number of different flake foods, which include Hikari, Wardley, TetraMin and Aquarian. Among these are spurilina and color enhancers. Frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp are also included. If they are fortunate, they will also have spurilina disks and shrimp pellets which are intended for my bottom dwellers.

i see i see. varierty is important...hmm what do you guys think of hikari gold or the bio gold? found some bio gold on ebay for cheap $ :)

I use Omega One and NLS, along with various freeze-dried and frozen foods. I used to use Hikari cichlid foods (still use the First Bites for fry) and think it's pretty good stuff too.

Back
Top Bottom