What is the maximum amount of assorted African cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That one can have at least

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

by assorted africans I assume you mean mbunas. You can only have 1. There isn't any room for more than one so the dominant one will terrorize the others for life.

Thinking small electric blues 4 dollars a pop at lfs

Thinking small electric blues 4 dollars a pop at lfs

Straight from live aquaria for the electric blues
Minimum Tank Size: 70 gallons Care Level: Easy Temperament: Aggressive Water Conditions: 76-82° F, KH 10-15, pH 7.8-8.6 Max. Size: 8" Color Form: Blue Diet: Carnivore Compatibility: View Chart Origin: Africa - Lake Malawi, Farm Raised, USA Family: Cichlidae

Bolivian rams are a good choice says 30gallon required.

Well I just happened to see this when going into petsmart maybe it's a different kind of electric blue? Says 29 gal on tag

Attachments

• 1438738032628.jpg
    1438738032628.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 86
Petsmart also says 40 gallon for an Oscar. Come on you know better.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well everyone will tell you to believe them and that's where the confusion lies, where do all these so called "facts" originate from? Experience? Or educated guesses?

And where do pet smart and petco get they're education on aquatics anyhow? Along with numerous lfs owners convincing arguments on how to care for fish, it's like a big cluster of advice that leads people to countless forks in the road .

I will say a 36" min length for them and a massive amount of rock work.
Petco's min tank size is just a little too small on most if not all their fish. If you want to go with a 30" tank do it just have a back up plan if the aggression gets out of hand.

Im guessing you trusted a store like Petco with the SA/CA cichlid stocking of your 60 gallon. It obviously didn't work and nobody who was experienced would've told you to do it. Feel free to buy fish and stuff from the big chain stores but you're in big trouble if you decided to go with their advice.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

There are 2 African cichlids known as electric blue in the hobby, Sciaenochromis ahli which reaches about 7" and Melanochromis johanni which I've seen hit 8" and is from a genus known for aggression. Neither are suited for such a small tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh trust that I don't trust petco or ps I'm just saying that even lfs owners all have something different to say, it seems like opinion most the time you know....

Stopped supporting petco over a year ago as for petsmart,that's the first time I've set foot in one since I was a kid, lfs have better deals anyway :)

Stopped supporting petco over a year ago as for petsmart,that's the first time I've set foot in one since I was a kid, lfs have better deals anyway :)

If there is one thing I have learned in my fish keeping its that these Cichlid guys know what they are talking about. :) via years of experience/ research. Stores are lenient on tank sizes.

Caleb

If there is one thing I have learned in my fish keeping its that these Cichlid guys know what they are talking about. :) via years of experience/ research. Stores are lenient on tank sizes.

Caleb

All about that money to corporate, I'm sure awhile ago it made more sense than now. I went to a new store with only one person in there ( the owner ) very loud individual lol anyway I told him about the lfs I visit and he had nothing nice to say about the other stores and insisted that I shop there,that he'll give me a better deal than everyone else.i see that he's struggling because he sold me two clown loaches at almost 3 inches for 20 bucks, I couldn't pass it up but I'm going back to support him seemed passionate about things, and very loud! Lol. So he has a 125 gal for 600 with a stand, I'm seriously thinking about getting it soon, is that a good price for new?

Two clowns

Attachments

• 1438750002295.jpg
    1438750002295.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom