what is this in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sushi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
first hello to everyone i'm new here, sorry i dont have a picture to show you but, i have a 29 gal tank with a magnum canister filter and i had it set up for a week or two and then bought a "assorted afican cichlid" which i think is a yellow labid. anyway he/she is doing fine no signs of illness and been going for 2 weeks but yesterday i noticed all these tiny little white spots in my tank on the rocks on the walls everywhere and the tank is growing some red alge too. the wite spots are about the size of eggs but they appear to be moving around like they are alive and some sort of bug or something living on the alge?? i did some water tests ph=8 or so chlorine is 0 ammonia is 0 and nitrites are 0 so the water seems like it's pretty good but i have no clue what the little white spots are, they actually look like tiny airbubbles. thanks for all your help

i had tiny little bubbles for a few weeks not sure what they are (so not much help really) but they have almost gone now, as for alge try a loach or pleco

ok little confused with the white spots. Are there a lot of them grouped together to make them the size of eggs? and are they(egg size) at the bottom of the tank or at the top?

Also inregards to the red algae you don't want that. You will need to scrape it off and also get it out of the tank. Besides the magnum filter is there any other powerheads or any more flow in the tank?

If not you may want to put a PH in for flow or just add a splitter to the outake of the magnum so that it moves the water in many directions. I'll have to try and lookup to see if you can buy one or if it would be a DIY project.

the white spots are just one to be about the size of a egg i think, they are mainly on my large slate rocks and the walls of the tank they actually seem to be grouping more where ever there is alge. i didnt know if they could be tiny baby snails or what. thanks for the water flow advice i will get a powerhead and put it in there to flow around the bottom.

Look very closly at the white spots. I bet they are worms. They could be flatworms or roundworms. Check to see if they move or not.

Unless they look like cotton balls, then I'd go with some sort of eggs What else is in the tank? Just the african and snails or?

Snails lay their eggs above the water level, cichlids, I have no idea. If they are moving then I high doubt they would be eggs, and I wouldnt think a cichlid would lay its eggs scattered about like that. I still stick to my opinion that they are worms.

well i dont know they could be worms but after a couple of days my alge is going away now, thanks to the eggs/worms/whatever my african seems fine still. i have put in a power head and a new light that is less for plant growth since i dont have live plants in the tank. that should help some on the alge. if they are worms, will it harm my fish? and how would i get rid of them?

They are most likely baby snails, IMO. some snails lay their eggs underwatwer, some above the waterline, and some don't lay eggs, they are livebearers. You said they move around, eggs don't move. Still possible to be flatworms or something, but I'm guessing baby snails.

Back
Top Bottom