what kind of cichlid is this???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
hello i just bought a pair of cichlids and the guy didnt know wat kind they were when i asked him he told me it was common cichlid but i dont know if you guys can help me find out wat kind this cichlids are they are about 1-1 1/2 inch long they are exactly the same also i re washed the sand on my aquarium yesterday and and it was pretty clear now its kind of cloudy and i added some thing called clarity by seachem and it got alittlebit cloudier but now its kind of brownish wat can i do????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Looks like a Kenyi Cichlid to me.

I would change a bit of the water to see if that helps the cloudiness. Otherwise, it should settle and go away on its on. I wouldn't add that Clarity stuff....doesn't sound like it does much.

+3 its is a Kenyi
give it time to settle....if you just rewashed it could take some time to allow smaller particles to settle..and also give you Filter time to suck some up..I'm not a fan of clearing chemicals because most of the time they just make smaller particles lump to larger ones that fall to the bottom making your substrate dirty..

Last edited:
Sexing Information: Once out of the juvenile stage, sexing is easy. The males will become a very bright yellow.

most mbuna males have more egg spots on their anal fins than females do also the males egg spots are usually more defined. The electric yellows are a little easier to sex the males have black on the pelvic fins the females don't.

this is my cichlid tank i hope u guys like it i know i gotta put more caves and decorations but idk how to make them because they are so expensive and i wanna make some

this are a few more,the wate kind of looks cloudy but its actually christal clear its just that the aquarium glasses makes it look dirty but the water test showed that it was good at least thats wat the guy said. also i bought this 2 white calvus in a breeding place called tropical fish whole sale and the guy said they were going to turn whiter, how long does it take for them to turn whiter??????

tank looks nice, needs rock. For the most part, we all just use rock, piled up (stable of course) with lots of little places that the fish can hide in. If you go look at my profile, ive got an album of mine on there, its not pretty, nor is it done, but it might give you an idea of what you could think about as far as rock goes. Another option you could look at, as spoonman uses, is lace rock. Alot of people like the look of it, but if youre like me and dont wanna spend a fortune on rock, creek rock (cleaned thoroughly of course) works very well. I also made some diy caves out of clay pots cut in half, also did some out of pvc with rock glued on the outside (didnt look as good), and a couple weeks ago made some out of concrete that are still curing.

thank you so much, yeah im planning on adding more but right now i dont have any money and im trying to put there some here and there as i get money

i got mine from somebody on here who got them from the creek behind their house... theyre kinda neat looking actually, and completely free (except i traded him a heater and some dw since he had to carry them by hand up a 1000 yard hill lol)...

Hello Abraham. White Calvus (Altolamprologus) are meat eaters, not really the same diet as your algae-grazing other fish, and they get quite big. I personally would not keep them in anything smaller than a four foot tank, or with your current tankmates but rather in a tank of their own, or with other shell dwellers like Neolamprologus, etc... They are an awesome fish, way more interesting than mbuna to me. I am sure you can keep them together somehow, but the trick is going to be feeding them the high-protien diet they need while preventing the mbuna you have from eating too much of it and risking bloat.

oh yeah what i do when i feed them i put the pellets on once serving, the next time i give them blood worms and next one i give the zuccini and other veggies while i leave some feeder fish in the tank and i noticed that the calvus are the only ones that eat the feeders and i just have them there till my other aquarium gets cycled thank you tho!!!!!!!!!!!!! also they are all pretty small 1 1/4 inch the small one the other one is 2"

Back
Top Bottom