What kind of cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobykourtney

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought these from my lfs and it said on the tank South American cichlids. I was wondering if anyone knows the actually name for each of these guys?

Attachments

• image-3316900940.jpg
    image-3316900940.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 203
  • image-1825530074.jpg
    image-1825530074.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 206
  • image-3803059290.jpg
    image-3803059290.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 203
The pet store sold me the salvini as a pair they seem very timid so far. They just hind behind the heater with my pleco. Maybe they're just getting used to the new tank

1st is a salvini, 2nd looks like a heckelli, and the third looks like a red aureum.

Salvini is a aggressive fish

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks man and does anyone know if they can be kept with trinidad plecos?

55 gallon tank, filter is 2 penguin 350's,with 60 lbs of sand a couple pieces of driftwood and a few plants

Never mind the salvini's seem very aggressive now that they've gotten comfortable

They're beautiful fish but super aggressive if given the opportunity. I've only had them successfully w other fish if they've been Midas or Red Devils. Maybe with the right Dempsey or green terror but not likely. They usually do take a shy approach at first BUT.... when they decide they want to mix it up it usually gets crazy. Theyre fast and strong and when they realize it - its nuts. May need jaguars with them but the tank would need to be much larger. Good luck though!

And also was wondering if 2 salvini,1 heckilli,and 1 ellioti would be overstocked for a 55 gallon tank

Give people time they will answer. I don't have the answer I apologize but you shouldn't bump your thread after 2 minutes of no response.

I e never kept either of those two species so I can't help you with compatibility but I think it may be an issue. As far as overstocked. I think 4 fish is ok in a 55 but again it depends if you end up with shy or aggressive salvini. I've seen them both ways. Probably have to rely in trial and error!

Sorry man sent duplicate message and couldn't delete it so editing to question marks seemed somewhat appropriate sorry bro :)

I e never kept either of those two species so I can't help you with compatibility but I think it may be an issue. As far as overstocked. I think 4 fish is ok in a 55 but again it depends if you end up with shy or aggressive salvini. I've seen them both ways. Probably have to rely in trial and error!

Thanks man they seem pretty shy as long as the other fish don't come near there part of the tank

Not overstocked, but death could be an issue - depends on the level of aggression from the Salvini, some are worse than others - it's more than capable of killing both.
In all honesty, I wouldn't have mixed them - Salvini should be kept with more aggressive Cichlids like Jack Dempseys, Green Terrors etc. If it was a yellow Cichlid you where after a Rainbow ( Herotilapia multispinosa ) would have been much better.

Last edited:
I had a salvini once and was way too aggressive. I had a fire mouth and eliotti in the tank. I ended up giving up the salvini to a taker.

Seems like the salvini are more occupied with each other for the time being. Guess only time will tell.

If you have a male and few ale and they breed then nothing else in the tank will be left alive so worst case scenario you rehome the others and have a beautiful salvini family! They're great looking and fun fish. They sometimes just need more space than you think. Or you rehome them and go more peaceful with the other stock once they're gone.

Back
Top Bottom