What kind of pool filter sand is safe ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bert B

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to use pool filter sand for my aquarium. What are the differences in this sand ? What ingredients should I avoid in the pool filter sand ? I heard something about silica but not sure if that is good or bad .

I picked up 3 50 lb bags of the #20 mesh, what color is yours ? mine is a light brown

I used pool filter sand that I got from a pool/spa supply store. They told me the sand was quartz. Quartz (silicon dioxide) is inert and it won't change your pH.

Mine is from canada and on the bags it says it is a processed silica sand and that it is dried & sterilized. it also says low dust.

Any pool filter sand should be fine.. just be sure to rinse, rinse and rinse it some more.

Always a good idea to rinse.. consider yourself lucky :)

Thanks everyone ! I will take pictures and i am working on the tank today, I have the rockscape fiqured out and will put the sand AROUND and up against the rocks so the africans can dig all they want with no undermining. I like the digging they do and keep the sand in small piles and make their own shaped substrate.

How do you rinse sand?

Well your suppose to just clean it yourself with a bucket or something and keep draining the water till the water looks decently clear (no extra stuff or tanish water to it)

Then your suppose to back the sand for a couple hours at around 200 degrees, then so it is completely dry and all bateria ec.t should be gone.

Then you can put it in your aquarium.

BAKE the sand ???? My wife would run me off if i put sand in the oven !

Don't worry about baking the sand. Just rinse it real good in buckets.

This pool filter sand says it is sterilized and has low dust, but i will rinse it big time anyway. I never heard of baking the sand until the above post mentioned it.

This pool filter sand says it is sterilized and has low dust, but i will rinse it big time anyway. I never heard of baking the sand until the above post mentioned it.

Neither have I, I've heard of baking driftwood, but that is only to kill any parasites. Not sure of the reason behind baking the sand.

I have pool filter sand in my 55g... it was a 40lb bag.. i just got a little scooper and put it in a bigger bowl.. put the bowl in the sink. ran the water over it till it was to the top. then ran my fingers threw it till it was no longer a gold, but clear water. went to the tank dumped the bowl and repeted.. (about 10 times) Ill just reccommend putting in 3/8 of a full bowl.. or else you will lose quite abit while you run your hands threw it to turn it.

Back
Top Bottom