What Next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So i went out and purchased 2 Black Convicts and 2 Kenyi Cichlids? Not sure if thats what they're called.. and a pleco.. I've done some research and found that these convicts could spawn like crazy if they turn out to be a pair.. But i'm wondering what i should go with next? What will be tolerated by my 2 current species and/or compliment them? Oh and its a 90 gallon.. Any ideas??
Thanks

Um... get some yellow labs or electric yellows.

Some eletric blues would be cool.

Basically any cichlid you can find that are the same size as what you have and ones you like. Just make sure they are not from different places.

Like new world cichlids like central and south american cichlids do not mix with africans.

Visit this link, it has TONS of info on TONS of cichlids :D
Cichlids, Family: Cichlidae, Angelfish, Oscars, Firemouth, Malawi, Tanganyika

Do not mix puffers with cichlids. Puffers should actually have a tank of there own, or a tank with other brackish fish only.

You have two types of cichlids in your tank, New world Large Cichlids are the convicts and African Cichlids Lake Malawi (Zebra) Mbuna's are the Kenyis.

Your not suppose to mix these type of fish to be honest. Convicts have been known to kill any fish in the same tank 3x there size during there breeding period. So basically 3in. convicts have been known to kill 10in plecos and oscars.

I have a bad cichlid mix aswell, but I think I might be able to get through it since i'm growing them up from 1in together. This might give me a better chance of them growing to each other and getting along as adults, or they might just get along now and kill each other in the long run. I'm hoping this isn't the case.

I would suggest looking at that website and getting as much info as you can in your mind, or on paper, then returning either the convicts or the kenyis, depending on your choice, and getting the right species mix so you do not have any problems later on.

No prob. man. I had to go through cichlids by myself, don't want what happened to me happen to another fellow cichlid lover.

Well keep me updated and tell me how everything works out for you.

If you have any questions just feel free to ask away.

Convicts will breed like carzy, no doubt, They are increadiably easy to sex, and if you have a male and female, you WILL have fry, no doubt about it. Convicts are also extremely territorial. I would move the Con's in a 20g and let them breed in there, take the Kenyi's back, and shoot for Mbuna, like Yellow Labs, Peacocks, Auratus, Johanni's ect.

Also, what kinda Pleco?

Back
Top Bottom