What non cichlid species do you keep with your cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darkmatter_3500

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have Leporinus in my tanks with S/A C/A cichlids, they get a bad rap as tail nippers and trouble makers but I find that they do great with other aggressive fish, they also clean up after my messy eaters and they are fun to watch. I was just wondering what others keep in their cichlid tanks.

I keep synodontis catfish with my Africans.It's like they don't even exist the cichlids completely ignore them and they're great for cleaning up any leftovers (not that there are any lol)

garfy said:
I keep synodontis catfish with my Africans.It's like they don't even exist the cichlids completely ignore them and they're great for cleaning up any leftovers (not that there are any lol)

I have noticed that cichlids tend to direct their aggression towards other cichlids that they recognize as cichlids, even my pikes and severum get left alone probably due to their body shape. Every LFS seems to say that cichlids can only be kept with other cichlids but I find that info misleading.

I keep synodontis petricola with my Africans. I also had a large Angelicus Botia loach (the first pic of Convicts fish is a smaller AB I think) that was giving my clown loachs problems in my community tank so I switched him over to my African tank and he has gotten along great with them. Their attitutes seem to match well.

I have neon tetras with my cichlids and they get along fine.

My kribensis doesn't really mind them unless it's feeding time.

That has a similar body style as loaches so I'm not sure how they would work. I have 3 different types in my 125 and they never ever get bothered by my Africans. Knock on wood.

darkmatter_3500 said:
Wow they dont try to eat them?

I monitored them for the first few days and the kribensis did show their dominance by chasing them. But now they ignore each other. :)

Also worked great at Ditcher fishes

Cornstar said:
I monitored them for the first few days and the kribensis did show their dominance by chasing them. But now they ignore each other. :)

Thats cool if it works :)

Cornstar said:

Are the cichlids full grown?

This is in response to the numerous PM's I've been getting about the loaches. Not complaining just figured it would be easier to answer here if anyone else had questions.

This is the email I got from the guy I got them from. In order.

hi buddy! the first one is called a 'Burmese border loach' (Botia kubotai) and the second one is Botia hymenophysa (no common name). I'm out of both but if I see any next week, I'll get them for stock

I have synodontis perticolas as well as a school of giant danios. I have a mixed mbuna tank 120g. Yellow labs, red zebras, 3 bumblebees. The cichlids mess with each other a little but not too bad. Tank is a rock garden with lots of hiding places.

Back
Top Bottom