What other cichlids can I put in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matthew.1979

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have 3 venustus, 3 demasoni, 2 red zebras, 2 auratus, 3 yellow labs, 3 blue cobalt and 1 chinese algae eater. What other malawis can I put together with these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you have at least a 6' tank you already have a bloodbath waiting to happen. Demasoni need to be kept in groups of 10 or more to spread around their conspecific aggression, and auratus are even more likely to trash everything else when a male matures.

So what can be done to calm down the male auratus?

So what can be done to calm down the male auratus?

A large tank with aggressive species only, with proper stocking (male to female ratio of 1:3-4), or even a species only tank. Auratus are generally not good for a community mbuna tank

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Demasoni AND Auratus... Hmm...

I guess you never really know which AC's are nice or not unless you try them.

I think the only option to try and cut aggression down would be to add females of both species.

Might be difficult to find specific females like that but there's not much else to do.

I'm not that well versed in AC's other than Mbuna so I'm not too sure how Venustus' are going to cope depending on their size.

Size could be problem in its own, you didn't specify the size of the tank but I'm hoping you know the size Venustus' can reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

All the fish you have are all really aggressive not to mention the Venustus is just straight predatory cichlid so yea. I have a flavescent and ahli with my mbuna amd do fine

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom