What other cichlids can i put with 2 nicaraguan cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBlackSloth93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55gal with 8 red eye tetras and 2 Nicaraguan cichlids and I was wondering what other cichlids if any I could put in there. I was thinking fire mouths but then I have to consider there max size. If I did get any other cichlids I'd like to start with a group and get a pair. So in the end there would only be 4 cichlids. Thanks.

The Nic's will take up the whole 55, they're not a large cichlid but do claim a good-size territory. You might get by with a pair of angels, most other cichlids don't seem to recognize them as direct competition because their body shape is so different.

I don't know much about Nicaraguans but if you do go with fire mouths you wont be disappointing I love mine. If you are anywhere near Albany,NY area. I could hook you up with a bunch I have allot of 3 month old fry. They seem to go well with many things because they are kind of passive but can bluff well enough to scare off intruders.

I decided to go with some jewls. If and when the Nics get to aggressive I have a 20L to put them in. I also grabbed a polylipturis senagalis ?? Sorry if I butchered the name. He will go into my 90gal planted tank when the time comes.

Thanks for the advice though guys.

Attachments

• image-3987539555.jpg
    image-3987539555.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 102
If the jewels pair up and spawn they'll most likely trash the Nic's. The bicher will be helpful to eat extra fry though.

Good thing I've got that 20L. But I really am saving for a 125gal and make it a all South America cichlids
Do jewels spawn pretty easy would you say?

Ya, if they don't kill each other first. Jewels are probably the most territorial/conspecific aggressive smaller species of SA or CA cichlids you'll usually find available.

Ya, if they don't kill each other first. Jewels are probably the most territorial/conspecific aggressive smaller species of SA or CA cichlids you'll usually find available.

Jewels are african and come from streams and rivers in africa

Back
Top Bottom