what should a cichlid tank look like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FxT4LyFx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ive had my 270l/71g tank for 4 years and in that time its had in it my tire track eel, bala shark and bristlenose cat fish. 10 days ago i bought two electric yellows, one female kenyi and what i think is an ob zebra. since i got them i really rearranged my tank as they need teritories but they still swim all the time and change around where they hide all the time? why is this?

FxT4LyFx said:
ive had my 270l/71g tank for 4 years and in that time its had in it my tire track eel, bala shark and bristlenose cat fish. 10 days ago i bought two electric yellows, one female kenyi and what i think is an ob zebra. since i got them i really rearranged my tank as they need teritories but they still swim all the time and change around where they hide all the time? why is this?

You just rearranged your tank, there scoping the place out, seeing what real-estate they want. As for what should a Cichlid tank look like? That's personal preference. Here's mine, a lot of members here have some AMAZING Cichlid tanks!!

View attachment 70551

Last edited:
your tank looks really nice. should i stick with plastic plants or start using real ones? also how do i do a rock build up?

FxT4LyFx said:
your tank looks really nice. should i stick with plastic plants or start using real ones? also how do i do a rock build up?

What I did was googled Cichlid setups or Cichlid tanks and use YouTube also. Rock formations are good, just make sure there stable, you don't want a bunch I rocks crashing down and breaking your tank and killing your fish.

I started with all fake plants now only have 2 the rest are Anubias and java fern. I glued the Anubias to the driftwood and the rocks. I haven't had any issues. They do like to dig up the ones I have planted though... lol they think it's funny.

i thought driftwood was a no no in cichlid tanks as it lowers the ph? whatd you glue them there with? also where did you get all your rocks? the idea of buying them sounds stupid to me so ive avoided it but is that the way to go?

FxT4LyFx said:
i thought driftwood was a no no in cichlid tanks as it lowers the ph? whatd you glue them there with? also where did you get all your rocks? the idea of buying them sounds stupid to me so ive avoided it but is that the way to go?

You can use driftwood. It could lower it but just check your water and if need be use a Malawi buffer. I haven't had a problem an have 4 pieces. My pH is 8.0. I used Krazy Glue the gel kind, make sure to get the kind that dries clear. You can pick up rocks at a creek or lake or stream. Or you can buy them. I found some of mine but bought the Cichlid stones.

Basically you wanna make the tank yours. Set it up the way you want. You can pull ideas from many other tank setups and still make yours unique.

Good luck :)

& as for rocks, def find yourself a local quarry. i got 60lbs of bluestone for just 6 dollars!!

i used to dig decorations but its much more satisfying to see a natural look come together

here's a few pics of my affy set ups .. i really wish i didnt mix the black & white rocks but i'm eventually going to switch to all black or the 'earthy' colored ones

Attachments

• image-3615265684.jpg
    image-3615265684.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 193
  • image-2595970783.jpg
    image-2595970783.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 178
  • image-4517044.jpg
    image-4517044.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 178
  • image-3228527599.jpg
    image-3228527599.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 176
All of them look really cool, wish i had that king of creativity haha. How big are the rocks your using?

You just rearranged your tank, there scoping the place out, seeing what real-estate they want. As for what should a Cichlid tank look like? That's personal preference. Here's mine, a lot of members here have some AMAZING Cichlid tanks!!

View attachment 70551

What kind of light do you have in the second pic that gives it that "black light look" Do you use two different lights in your tank?

I think i need more rocks haha. I have three big ones down the bottom but my eel takes them up. Its just a bit hard to get a hold of them as no shops in my area sell them and a river isn't for 20 minutes away..

a local rock quarry is your best bet for rocks!! they sell by the ton so you can get 100lbs for nothing!! pet stores are way overpriced for rocks unless its texas holy rock or lava rock etc .. but for regular stone, quarries are the way to go

I agree with Roach on the quarry rock...I got all my rock which is more than I could use for 7 bucks. It was from a landscape supply store. Test your rock with a dab of vinager. If iy makes bulbbles then dont use that one. Clean them with hot water and scrub them. NO SOAP. soak them in dechlorinated water for a day. Just a bucket with some prime.... My tank thread
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/i-changed-up-my-tank-pics-185381.html

Back
Top Bottom