What should i do?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxantonio11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a cichlid tank with 4 fish.. It's a 55 gallon long. I have one double filter for 30-60gallons. The fish keep defecating on the sand and it is very visible and is not getting filtered -.-

1) should I get a sucker fish
2) do I need a stronger filter
3) do I have to empty and clean sand every frickin day?

PLEASE HELP

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a cichlid tank with 4 fish.. It's a 55 gallon long. I have one double filter for 30-60gallons. The fish keep defecating on the sand and it is very visible and is not getting filtered -.-

1) should I get a sucker fish
2) do I need a stronger filter
3) do I have to empty and clean sand every frickin day?

PLEASE HELP

A sucker won't touch the poopies, that has to be vacuumed out, unfortunately :( sometimes shrimp will pick it apart so it dissolves quicker, the BB will have a chance to break it down. They will also provide a tasty and nutritious snack for the cichlids!! I keep ghost shrimp, they're hardy and cichlids love them ;)

BB? and also, how much is a vacuum? will the vacuum suck the sand in too?

BB is beneficial bacteria. You can get hand pump siphon vacuums at an affordable price. I can't remember the price I paid for mine off the top of my head. Top Fin @ Petsmart is what I have. As far as vacuuming with a sand substrate, you hold the vacuum a couple inches from the sand and move the end piece in a circular movement so as to lift the waste up, but keeping the end piece far enough from the sand to keep disturbance at a minimum. If that makes sense.

Or get a powerhead like I did, had the same problem. It keeps the poo from settling and hopefully find its way to the filter. Also vac the sand every WC

They are cheap and it's more of a syphon than an actual vacuum. Once you get the water flowing just hold it about an inch above the sand and it will grab the nasties and leave the sand alone.

You should do a vac everyone you do a water change. Your taking the water out anyways why not take the poop with it? And a power head is a pump that moves the water... I don't know it hard to explain. Basically it is used to increase water circulation.

You don't need to vacuum everyday. I vacuum weekly when I do my water change.

Also don't get ghost shrimp, your Cichlids will eat them very quickly so its pointless.

I second the powerhead suggestion. put in two 300 gph rated powerheads, one on each side of the tank, or one 750ph powerhead. aim them toward the sand (not straight down, but out and angled down). If you have the ability, add additional filtration like another 30/60 or a canister filter with a 220gph minimum flow rate.

The more water movement and flow you have in your tank the less waste is able to settle at the bottom of the tank. The more filitration you have will increase flow as well as suck up more waste from the water column before it finds a dead spot and settles. Aiming the powerheads toward the sand will ensure that water at the bottom of the tank is stirred up to lift any settled waste into the water column.

That's a lot of flow for your fish to deal with. I know cichlids like a lot of flow but that would be a turnover rate of like 17-18times an hour. I'm sure one power head would be enough. And if you don't feel it is you can purchase another one. Another thing you can do is by a canister filter and lay the intake tube horizontal on the ground. High enough so it won't suck up the sand and it will most likely be able to suck up the waste seeing as it is much lighter then sand. And anything that doesn't get sucked up you can do with the pwc.

Back
Top Bottom