What size heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 100gallon I am going to be setting up. What size heater should I use? It's a 60"x20".. Should I use one 300watt or two 150watt (one on each side)

Also suggestions on a specific heater?

I have a 100gallon I am going to be setting up. What size heater should I use? It's a 60"x20".. Should I use one 300watt or two 150watt (one on each side)

Also suggestions on a specific heater?

I had 2 150w heaters in my 150g but recently swapped em out for 1 300w Aqueon to free up an outlet and it does the job just fine :)

Generally you should be using 4-5 watts per gallon, so with that tank I'd use 2 200-250w heaters. Using 2 larger heaters will allow for a more even heat distribution, still having a heat in source incase one fails, and lastly larger heaters will have to work less which increases their life expectancy dramatically.

I think currently Eheim Jäger makes the best heater on the market, I've been using them ever since the Stealths went south with rock solid performance.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
Generally you should be using 4-5 watts per gallon, so with that tank I'd use 2 200-250w heaters. Using 2 larger heaters will allow for a more even heat distribution, still having a heat in source incase one fails, and lastly larger heaters will have to work less which increases their life expectancy dramatically.

I think currently Eheim Jäger makes the best heater on the market, I've been using them ever since the Stealths went south with rock solid performance.

Perfect advice. I'd go with 2 200w jagers for this size tank. I know someone who tried a similar setup with one powerful heater and there were all kinds of problems.

I have to agree here and go with the 2-200 or depending on how cold it gets in your neck of the woods 1-200 and 1-250. I run two in the winter months and in the summer I don't need one so I unplug it.

I have to agree here and go with the 2-200 or depending on how cold it gets in your neck of the woods 1-200 and 1-250. I run two in the winter months and in the summer I don't need one so I unplug it.

Well it's December and my house was 69F @ 6am (San Diego CA). Soooo I think I might get away with one 200 watt

Well it's December and my house was 69F @ 6am (San Diego CA). Soooo I think I might get away with one 200 watt

For a second I was wondering if I keep my house warmer than others haha! When I mix my saltwater where i keep it in the temp stays anywhere between 74-77* just from the ambient temp in the house... I live in northern michigan, winters are rough (this one not so much yet) but I keep my house pretty warm for the babies... It's not unusual for me to have the heat rockin on 80 ;D

For a second I was wondering if I keep my house warmer than others haha! When I mix my saltwater where i keep it in the temp stays anywhere between 74-77* just from the ambient temp in the house... I live in northern michigan, winters are rough (this one not so much yet) but I keep my house pretty warm for the babies... It's not unusual for me to have the heat rockin on 80 ;D

Well my house was 69 this morning with no heaters! Never seen snow around here. Spoiled southern Californian kid!

Back
Top Bottom