What size powerhead should I use for my 75 gallon African tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DerekMartinez

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just wondering how much gph should I be flowing thru my tank. I have the penguin power filter 350 with a couple of decor with airstones.

I was just going to use it strictly for more aeration but I was just asking too if I need to put one in and what size.

Since most cichlids are lake fish they don't nneed current. Having said that I have 2 950 gph powerheads in my 150 gallon and they love swimming in it. I use mine to get rid of the dead sspots around my rock. But its personal choice. They never hurt.

Yes that's what I wasneeding it for for the dead spots. So 2 750gph would be good for mine? Also what brand powerhead do u use?

I woulnt use it unless you can hide it well. Powerheads are big an ugly. If it serves no purpose in your tank why bother?

Yeah mine is too...It is my flow...lol from the sump into the tank..But he said he didnt need it so my point is why clutter the tank. He can acheive aeration with airstones...Looks much better too

Thanksfor the advice. But I think I need one cuz some of my cichlids like to hang out by the filter and I read that means it needs more oxygen in the tank so I just borrowed my buddies koralia 1400 gph to see how it works and I might get some 750's when I get some money.

Hanging by the filter can be a sign of needing more oxygen. What is your ammo level? Water high in ammo is less oxygenated. They will hang by the filter in an ammo spike. Also higher temps require more oxygen. Airstones or one of the bubble bars is another way of agitation. You can also allow your water level to drop so the return on the penguins has to "waterfall" into the surface.

Yea i was thinking of dropping the water level so it"ll waterfall into it. But i keep my temp around 80 F. I have a hanging strip that says the ammo level is safe in the yellow.

Also depending on your stocking level. A 75 with a single HOB penguin 350 is underfiltered. Esp for Cichlids.

I would test against that strip with a kit from time to time but if you cycled with weekley PWCS your prob ok. 80 is warm but not to warm.

That is a good Idea. I would run 2 HOBS and supercharge them with seachem matrix (the white not carbon) A powerhead would give you better flow then just the HOBS. A single powerhead would do you some good.

and yea after i put the powerhead in it theyre not sitting at the pump as much and i might turn it the temp to about 78-79 is that better?

Back
Top Bottom