What Size tank for this stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking for the recommended size tank for the following stock:

2 Oscars
1 Convict
1 Jack Dempsey (or Green Terror)
1 Jewel Cichlid
3 Bala Sharks
3 Clown Loaches
1 Red Tail Black Shark
1 Pleco

What would you say is the minimum size and the ideal size for this stock? Also, do any of these fish seem incompatible with each other?

I'm looking for the recommended size tank for the following stock:

2 Oscars
1 Convict
1 Jack Dempsey (or Green Terror)
1 Jewel Cichlid
3 Bala Sharks
3 Clown Loaches
1 Red Tail Black Shark
1 Pleco

What would you say is the minimum size and the ideal size for this stock? Also, do any of these fish seem incompatible with each other?

500 gallons

500G is a little bigger than I could realistically do. I made some edits, how about based on my new edited list:

2 Oscars
1 Convict
1 Jewel Cichlid
3 Clown Loaches
1 Red Tail Black Shark
1 Pleco

Drop everything but Oscars, pleco and add 2-3 more loaches and you'd be fine with a 300 gal I would imagine. You'd need a **** of a filtration system.

I would agree that that HUKIT's edited list would be good in 180G, which isn't a whole lot smaller than my original

2 Oscars
1 Convict
3 Clown Loaches
1 Red Tail Black Shark
1 Bristlenose Pleco

Curious, which fish in my list was driving this thing upwards of 500 Gallon. I would have thought I could get away with a lot more with that type of massive tank.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll probably start the 180G - 220G next year and this will most likely be my stock. I was hoping for one additional cichlid besides the oscars and convict (particularly the jewel), but I'd rather happy fish than a constant rumble.

I've done some research the past week and modified some of my options. How does this tank setup look:

150 Gallon Tank:
1 Oscar
1 Convict

1 Jewel Cichlid
3 Clown Loaches
1 Red Tail Black Shark
1 Bristlenose Pleco

What do you think? Overstocked, Understocked or just right?

Understocked, IMO you need to expand your search. Oscars are cool but compared to other CA/SA fish they're rather boring when kept alone. Look online at Viejas or Festae, there's tons of really cool large fish you could stock a 150g with.

The Festae are beautiful, I'm just a little concerned about how aggresive they appear to be. If you look at my revised stock, you'll see I tried to reduce the number of true aggressives. My concern is that this will be my big tank and I won't have a place to rehome if things get out of control.

The Viejas seem like they might be a good fit, as a semi-aggressive. Where do you find fish like these online. My LFS's never have anything like this and neither does liveaquaria.com.

I also considered an Electric Blue Dempsey or Honduran Red Point. Not sure if you would recommend either?

As for the Oscar, I'm afraid he's a lock! Watching big tiger oscars at the LFS is what hooked me on the hobby :)

I have Festae in a grow out tank now, the Honduran pair are in with my oscar pair. The HRP's are a better option than convicts, better color and less aggression. The Viejas depending on what species can be rough as well. The EBJD will not fair well with larger and more aggressive fish so I would cross them off the list. I would stick to something like,

2 Oscars
2 HRP's
1 Bristlenose
4 Clown Loaches...with the understanding these will need to be rehomed.

Jeff Rapps is where most of my rare fish come from, followed by Aquabid

http://www.tangledupincichlids.com/

Check out his Bumblebee Oscars!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom